Do we need to update clients' agents when we upgrade Commcell?

• 11 January 2024
  • 23 replies

Badge +3

Do we need to update clients' agents when we upgrade Commcell? Will it continue to take backup without updating? Is it a problem?

23 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

The CommServe and Media Agents are important to keep on the same version.  The Clients will still continue to run backups if they’re running an older version.  However, don’t simply ignore them, you do want to upgrade them on a regular cadence so they don’t fall too far behind.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks @Scott Moseman! @cihat I split your question into a separate thread to get better visibility.

Badge +3

The CommServe and Media Agents are important to keep on the same version.  The Clients will still continue to run backups if they’re running an older version.  However, don’t simply ignore them, you do want to upgrade them on a regular cadence so they don’t fall too far behind.

Thanks,
Scott

hi,

thanks for answer.

Is there a method to update agents in bulk on clients?

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Yes, you can run an upgrade against a Server Group.

If desired, you can create a Server Group which includes all Clients requiring updates.

e.g.

Thanks,
Scott

Badge +3

Yes, you can run an upgrade against a Server Group.

If desired, you can create a Server Group which includes all Clients requiring updates.

e.g.

Thanks,
Scott

hi,

After updating my commcell server, I saw that the clients were also updated. I did not do anything. How did that happen?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@cihat I have never experienced this that after the CommCell being updated that clients are automatically being updated as well. I would use the audit trail report to lookup what happened and who initiated the update. 

Badge +3

@cihat I have never experienced this that after the CommCell being updated that clients are automatically being updated as well. I would use the audit trail report to lookup what happened and who initiated the update. 

I noticed that the "download and sync" option is selected in the area visible in the attachment. Could that be the reason?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

No, the download and sync means that it will initiated a download action to pull updates from the Commvault repository and sync means it starts a sync job after the download job completed to copy the updates towards clients who are configured to act as remote software caches. 

Did you check the job results, because all scheduled/initiated update installations on clients are processed via a job. This of course does not apply in case you run the installer/update process on the client itself. 

Badge +3

No, the download and sync means that it will initiated a download action to pull updates from the Commvault repository and sync means it starts a sync job after the download job completed to copy the updates towards clients who are configured to act as remote software caches. 

Did you check the job results, because all scheduled/initiated update installations on clients are processed via a job. This of course does not apply in case you run the installer/update process on the client itself. 

I am confident that the update process is automatic. Is there a way I can verify this through reports or check from a different place to confirm?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Well like I said: did you check the job history? Which version are you running on right now? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@cihat

How did you upgrade?

Did you push the upgrade from top Commserve?

And selected all Client Groups/Clients?

Or Commserve Client?

Can you show Admin Jobs and select Resubmit job, without clicking ok, you should see the Upgrade Options you have selected.

The Audit Trail would show as below:

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Badge +3

@cihat

How did you upgrade?

Did you push the upgrade from top Commserve?

And selected all Client Groups/Clients?

Or Commserve Client?

Can you show Admin Jobs and select Resubmit job, without clicking ok, you should see the Upgrade Options you have selected.

The Audit Trail would show as below:

Best Regards,

Sebastien

I only selected the "download and sync cache options" section and chose to download version 11.32.38 while my version was 11.30, without checking the settings in other sections. I left the installation procedures for the next day, thinking I would look into them after downloading. When I came back the next day, I saw that both the CommCell server and clients had been upgraded. That's all. Therefore, I'm curious about how this happened. Update processes also do not appear in the history of previous tasks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@cihat 

Maybe you have Upgrade Software schedule, can you check your Scheduler?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Sebastien Merluzzi you were right before me as I just started to remember that there is a default system created scheduled, that is enabled by default, that triggers a upgrade software task on all clients. 

Badge +3

There is no planned task. When I look at past tasks, I don't see anything related to an upgrade. I couldn't understand what happened. I will pay more attention in the next upgrade. Thanks for your assistance.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Do you have an active/closed case for other issues you can share?

Badge +3

Do you have an active/closed case for other issues you can share?

No,

By the way, things are starting to get really strange. When I delved into the reports, I noticed an update process attached, but I'm sure I didn't initiate this myself. 😁

Badge +3

Thanks a lot, everyone. I've learned one more thing. When I looked into the scheduled tasks, I couldn't see anything, but I noticed that there is an update option for the scheduled tasks on the clients. @Sebastien Merluzzi 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Yes, and that matches your report 😁

Badge +3

Yes, and that matches your report 😁

In conclusion, it seems that we can automatically update clients in this current state, despite having different methods?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@cihat  Yes as long as you have the latest updates available.

Badge +3

@cihat  Yes as long as you have the latest updates available.

In the area you provided (referred to as "rep1"), updates are not appearing, but on the other hand, when we look at scheduled tasks (referred to as "rep"), there is a plan in place.

Why might it not be showing in the filtered table? I am selecting filter names just like in the image labeled "rep."

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@cihat 

Works fine for me:

Your Scheduler said your next job will run on 11th February 2024 (2/11/2024),

which is not showing in your screenshot.

Can you check.