Solved

delete old backups

• 5 December 2023
  • 12 replies

Badge +3

i have the commvault  v11.28.83. i want delete old backup from disk manually because of i have not empy space on my storage disk. the agging option is finishing works, but the disk space is not emptied.how to do it?

icon

Best answer by MarkusBaumhardt 5 December 2023, 15:57

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @gogi100 ,

You can check 

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Badge +3

i dont need ‘Delete a Job From a Copy’ then deleting data from backup, to free up disk space for new backups

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Can you check the Disk Library and View Contents what is taking the space?

Can you also check dataaging.log on Commserve?

Badge +3

also on location on storage, there is folder @Recycle, like on picture, that which occupies a space of 25 GB. can i delete data from this folder?

Badge +3

Can you check the Disk Library and View Contents what is taking the space?

Can you also check dataaging.log on Commserve?

i checked disk library >view contents and i found 

but i dnot know how delete those biggest backup.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

You can open the Recycle Bin and see what is inside. Then empty it if you do not need the deleted data.

Now I am confused, I sent you the link to delete the jobs you don’t want to keep, but you said “i dont need ‘Delete a Job From a Copy”.

Badge +3

I want to free up disk space for new backups. whether that space is also occupied by jobs, if the answer is yes, then they should be deleted as well

Badge +3

what is @ Recycle Bin?

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi Gogi100,

I think we need to clarify the understanding here as in Commvault Jobs represent backup data on the disk library. You can only delete entire Jobs which means that all data that was backed up with a specific Job is deleted.

So, if you want to free up space on the disk library, then you need to delete Jobs.

You can do that using the CommCell Console for example in that you navigate to the Storage Policy Copy, right-click on it and select “View Jobs”. In the Job View, you can then right-click individual Jobs and mark them for deletion. After that you need to start Data Aging which will care about the selected jobs being removed from the Commvault database and physically deleted from the disk via a separete pruning process that is running in the background after the Data Aging was run.

I hope this clarifies the process.

Badge +3

Hi Gogi100,

I think we need to clarify the understanding here as in Commvault Jobs represent backup data on the disk library. You can only delete entire Jobs which means that all data that was backed up with a specific Job is deleted.

So, if you want to free up space on the disk library, then you need to delete Jobs.

You can do that using the CommCell Console for example in that you navigate to the Storage Policy Copy, right-click on it and select “View Jobs”. In the Job View, you can then right-click individual Jobs and mark them for deletion. After that you need to start Data Aging which will care about the selected jobs being removed from the Commvault database and physically deleted from the disk via a separete pruning process that is running in the background after the Data Aging was run.

I hope this clarifies the process.

but when i right click on individual job, there is not option for deleting. the picture

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

In a regular Storage Policy Copy (i.e. not WORM enabled) and with full management permissions on the jobs, the context menu should have an option “Delete Job” at the bottom of the menu:

No idea why this is not shown in your case. Are you sure

• you are in the Job View of the Storage Policy Copy (not on the Client)?
  • The Storage Policy Copy is not WORM enabled?
  • you have full management rights on the Storage Policy and on the Jobs?
Badge +3

@gogi100 you can also check if this KB helps

https://kb.commvault.com/article/80543