Solved

Migration 1 SQL Server for new SQL server by commvault

Show first post

89 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Possibly, but not likely….what is your licensing type?  Do you have Capacity Licensing set up?

This might be a conversation for your Account Rep (in case you DO need additional licensing though you can review the full licensing guidehere: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=18120.htm

I would expect if you have capacity licensing and room to space, then you should be just fine.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Mike Struening @Ledoesp 

I´m looking for the SQL Versions must be the same to make the replication.

Do you know where i can find it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

From CommVault Java console you can see this at the SQL instance properties:

Also in program and features you can get the SQL version installed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

i found:
https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp13/article?p=92004.htm

In the online manual it says that it supports the same version or a higher version to Live Sync Operations.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Fernando, perform a database restore from the console, once you have performed the SQL database backup from our SQL agent. You have a simplified restore, just select the right choice for you: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=112786.htm

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Ricardo, I told you the same yesterday. I’m afraid the problem is that publico01 (source) has a SQLExpress version SQL 2014 while publico02 (destination) version SQL 2019 has a Standard.

Can you try to use a standard SQL 2014 instead of SQLExpress in source?

Also, not sure the commvault version you have in lab, SQL 2019 is supported in v11.16 onwards.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Ledoesp 

i use this for restore to Disk:
https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=112754.htm

but still restore *.bak Files:

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
  1. All Tasks\Browser and Restore

Restore do Disk:

View Content:
Test_Mirroring Database

Recover All Selected

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=61506.htm

Yes you restore to disk and you get these files, now you can try to use Management Studio to restore from these files or select the additional option Attach to SQL server.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Mike Struening 

I don´t think i need to acquire new licenses, but can you help me? *If i need new licenses.

The license:

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Ledoesp 

i made a test, the DBA create a SQL database for a one server and i replicate by CDR

Server: publico01

Server: publico02 (Replication Server)

The Database was create in c:\SQL2014

and i replicated in another server c:\public01\...\SQL2014

One question: The CDR just copy the file systems or can create a database in MS SQL and other things more?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks @Fernando Souza !!

I reread your posts and it sounds like you already added both SQL servers needed….is that right?

You have 3 Application class 1 licenses and all 3 are in use (I’m assuming these are physical servers, not vms) so I think you’re ok.

If you STILL need to install this SQL server, and have 3 other servers installed using the 3 availablethen you are out of licenses (only your account rep can get you more).

You also have Commvault Complete for Virtual Machines (for 10 vms) and don’t seem to be using any right now, so that’s an option, potentially.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

The version of MS SQL servers:

If this works? I think no, because doesn´t appear in the CommServ GUI or because the express version.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Just in case, have you performed the documented steps?

From the Destination Instance list, select the instance where the software replicates the data.

The Commvault software automatically populates the Destination Clientvalue based on the instance that you select

Try it just in case. Otherwise the other reason might be the edition of the engine.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Ledoesp 

The SQL instance in puiblico01:

Don´t appear for me in SQL Live Option

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Please list the available destination instance to see what it is listed and if desired destination instance is selected it populates the destination client publico02 and once destination is selected the databases are displayed in square below:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Fernando Souza are you replicating the flat files?

why not set up a Live Sync and do it all within SQL?

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=92004.htm

I think this is what you are asking at the end there :nerd:

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Mike Struening 

I uninstalled and installed the Commvault agent, because I was not looking at the SQL Database.and the link sent says it must have at least 1 sql live sync backup done.

Then i installed the agent again:

So, dind´t find the SQL Database:

Can you help me?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

I think need to update:

What do you think?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Can you confirm that there is at least one full backup to seed the sync?

From that doc:

Before You Begin

1. Install the SQL Agent on the destination host. For more information, see Getting Started with the SQL Server Agent.
  2. Add a SQL instance in the CommCell Console for the destination instance. For more information, see Instances for the SQL Server Agent.
  3. Make sure that you have a backup for the database that you want to use for the Live Sync operation.

If you do, then we may need to get a support case created.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Mike Struening 

I´m updating this Commvault, is a lab. 

when finish the update i will config this and send a message here.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

hello @Mike Struening 

i update the commcell and try to configure again.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Mike Struening 

Don´t find the Database in the SQL Live Sync Options:

Do you know what is the problem?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Ledoesp @Mike Struening @Sean Crifasi 

i made the restore of the database(production) to the new machines, but i´m getting this error, i think is related to licensing, could you help me?
Or am i doing wrong?

i have 3 three license for MS SQL, ok?

Production servers:

New servers:

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

It is license related. You have 3 licenses for the 3 production servers however there is a 4th server named sql01 where you are trying to run a job, not sure if a backup or a restore because you don’t provide the right details.

Release SQL license in sql01 if you are running a restore, if you are running a backup, buy additional licenses or release one for the three SQL production servers.