Migration 1 SQL Server for new SQL server by commvault

Show first post

89 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @M Scheepers 

Regarding to upgrade Commvault 
Current version of Commvault: 11 SP 13+

i will need to update before migrating SQL.

But the license i would like to know if need to acquire new licenses before migrate the SQL servers.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

hi @Fernando Souza,

what do you want to achieve?

Is the SQL of the Commserve needs to be migrated/upgraded or a other client in the environment?

the need of SQL standard or SQL Enterprise is depending on the functionality needs.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello

@Ledoesp @Mike Struening @Sean Crifasi 

I was able to do thanks for all!! i´ll put the procedure that i made here.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@M Scheepers 
Ok, i understand, but need more add more license for add this new client to migrfate the SQL Server? or for example: there are a limitationsof the connections concurrents for backups or whatever.

is there any limitation between SQL Standard and the entrerprise Version for Commvault?

Because the customer need to purchase the license and have this doubt.

is there a doc (website) explain about this type of license (SQL)?
Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@Fernando Souza 
for Commvault functionality it doesn’t matter, Enterprise is only needed if you want use other SQL functionalities what isn’t available with SQL standard.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=1720.htm

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

The major question: procedure to  migrate SQL Database by (Commvault) Continuous Data Replicator.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @JStainbrook

I need to do a Replication through the CDR Commvault by Live Sync and i will use it for Full Recovery Model SQL Databases.
I´ll read the documentation you sent.

I want to do is Replicate an SQL database from one server to the other server(new) by Commvault CDR.

Is it possible, ok?

I know that the Ideal goal is backup/restore, but that was how the replication was combined and then when migration “turn one side OFF and turn the other side ON”

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Do i need new licenses before migrate SQL Servers? because i use  the actual sql license to the new server

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello 

@Ledoesp @Mike Struening @Sean Crifasi 

The sql database admin verified the restore and it´s OK.

Then now i need to replicate to another SQL Database, in the same version, 

Do i use “Live Sync” or “Continuous Data Replicator" to replicate database SQL?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Fernando Souza , are you asking if the actual Microsoft SQL server needs to be licensed, or if you need to increase your commvault licensing?

CV licensing needed for a SQL agent (which leads to the full licensing guide): https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=18120.htm

If you have an instance of SQL running, it would need to have a valid MSFT license (assuming you are not referring to the Commserve which is already licensed: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=2801.htm)

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello Guys,

How can i remove this? i created last month and i don´t know how to remove. This is a test.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Fernando Souza have you had a chance to follow the advice from @Ledoesp ?

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

It is not very clear the original question.

1. do you want to perform a hardware refresh of the CommServe in order to have a more updated version of SQL? Follow procedure described in our documentation.
  2. You want to restore a SQL database from server 1 with SQL2012 (source) to server 2 with SQL in higher version (destination). Perform an out of place restore with SQL agent or if you don’t have enough license, create a dump and restore it in destination outside of CommVault. Why do you need CDR here?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Have you performed a SQL backup on the source machine?

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=92004.htm

You must have a backup in order to perform a Live Sync operation. If you have installed the SQL Server agent on the client, but have not yet performed a backup, then the software does not display any databases in the SQL Live Sync Options dialog box.

Also, Note: You can only use the Live Sync feature with SQL databases that use the Full Recovery model.