Log4j Vulnerability - Please Post All Questions Here

Show first post

344 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I have just downloaded the latest HP29 from my Commserve, updated the SW cache, and checked its content. I can confirm what @Onno van den Berg already stated : the log4j hotfixes are included in this one.

See below the Windows sw cache references from FR24 after the refresh (dec20/1:56PM my time) : 

:thumbsup: thanks !

Badge

Hi,

As per the Tenable website link below it looks like log4j version 1.x is also vulnerable

CVE-2021-4104 | Tenable®️

Kindly can you check and update the log4j version 1.x is vulnerable or not.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@Mohit Chordia, It would be better to maintain consistent versioning across your environment as any mis-match in versions between Commserve, Media Agents and Clients may cause inconsistencies in behaviour.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@0ber0n, open a support case for review, issue being “after install of 11.24.29 update, report shows server still not fixed”

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @Nishika ,

An updated version of the report has been released to address the issues with latest MR pack. Download link is the same as sticky post at top, and copied below:

https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/store.do#!/135/663/21789

Note that version is now 1.1.2.3

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

In what order should the hotfixes contained in the log4j_fix zip file be applied for a Windows environment? 4562 then 4563? In my certain case, its regarding version 11.20.

Thanks.

@NTCbrad , why not use Copy To Cache and push them, out that way?

Otherwise, manually install them in numerical order (though I don’t think it makes a difference).

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Mohd Adnan 

Quoting @Onno van den Berg : 

Based on the hotfix in the MR I would say the gab between 23 / 29 is about +200 fixes and enhancements.  

And I would myself recommend to upgrade to the latest hotfix pack. BUT it your concern is only the log4j vulnerability, then it’s not necessary if you pushed the hotfixes to all of your clients.

@Shane 

I just deployed CVMA on a RHEL 7.9 today, but before your post.. So unfortunately I can’t tell you if it’s coming with CVMA packages or just the RHEL OS. 

Anyway I checked on another server without any Commvault product on it and found no /usr/share/java folder. I also checked on the linux sources, and it looks like whether it comes with apache/tomcat, or glibc runtimes.

==> Here a feedback from Vaulters would be appreciated. (though it’s not the right moment, we all agree on this)

And as already written before by some other people, thanks to all Vaulters a professionals that work on this topic and share as much as possible to address this issue. :thumbsup:  

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Thanks Mike,

Can you clarify with the SQL and Oracle agents are they only vulnerable if the functions listed are used? or are all SQL / Oracle agents vulnerable.

Oracle agent - Database archiving, data masking, and logical dump backup
• Microsoft SQL Server agent - Database archiving, data masking, and table level restore

We’re trying to prioritize our response to our customers at present.

@Michael Woodward 

Only when used. So priority would be those that are used, followed by unused. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

The commvault report and sql query are not validated security tools. They just report that the update(s) installed on the client.

We get daily nessus reports of the CV infrastructure having a level 10 severity and have to explain to our customers that according to CV it is resolved.

CV will not get very far in saying that the platform is not affected unless the security vendors scan and show no vulnerabilities can be located.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

New vulnerability has been released today.  2.17 is now vulnerable.  

https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/security.html

@nizmoz - Thank you for the detail.  I’ve been advised we are aware and looking into this and will be going to 2.17.1.  I’ve requested more detail from our teams and will update this thread when we are able.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

CVE-2021-44832: The Commvault software does not use the JdbcAppender module and, therefore, the vulnerability about remote code execution attack does not affect any Commvault products.

Not sure how much I trust that, because our tenable scanner saw it was vulnerable on 1.2, above and they said it wasn’t and now they are working on fixing that issue.

I assume Tenable is simply scanning for the existence of the Log4J packages and not digging into the binaries of applications to determine if they’re using the exploited functions.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @0ber0n 

Yes, these hotfixes provided out of band now will be included in the next Maintenance Release, scheduled for release early in January.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +1

Hi all,

A customer has raised a concern with us regarding the eariler versions of Log4j2 They have run the scanner which shows another instance in the following path:

* \Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\Base\vmheartbeatmon\zookeeper lib\log4/-1.2.16.jar

Also they refer to the UK governments National Cyber Security Centres alert which says the earlier versions should not be used.

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/news/apache-log4j-vulnerability

“Version 1 of the Log4j library is no longer supported and is affected by multiple security vulnerabilities. Developers should migrate to the latest version of Log4j 2.”

Does Commvault have a resoponse to this I can pass on to my customer?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Thanks so much Mike.
Just a question as the 3 servers that were flagged are still showing as being an issue. SP11_25_14 has been installed last night.

Hi Mauro, can you confirm you are using the latest version of the Log4J Affected Servers report (1.1.2.3)? If not, please download and try the latest version to see if it gives different results.

Thank you so much! The new report solved the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @MathBob , @Rana , @C.Sudy , @Oriium 

Edited: We have some older instances in the installed component structure related to the older generation Log4J 1.x files which are not part of the current CVE Log4J 2.x vulnerability. We are doing further investigation on those conditions to determine a course of action.

Once I have more information on that discussion, I’ll reply here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Dave S  All of these are covered by the hotfix:

CVE-2021-44228

CVE-2020-9488

CVE-2019-3826

CVE-2019-17531

CVE-2017-5645

I’ll look into your CVE.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I would like to make you all aware of a new KB article that addresses the potential presence of Log4j v1 files in Microsoft SQL Server 2019 that is deployed in new CV installs (or if you have upgraded the MS SQL to 2019).  The article can be found here: Log4j Files in Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Installations.  These files are not used by CV software so do not represent an active vulnerability, but if you are using file scanning to detect Log4j they may generate alerts. 

Badge +5

I am also having the same problem which @Ziggy_81 reported with MR24.38, raised case with support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I do see Commvault has updated Security Vulnerability and Reporting (commvault.com) to include a new Log4J-2.16 Fix.  Are there any instructions on if you have the previous Log4J Fix already installed?  I.E.  Can you just add the new one to the cache and install over the old one?  Or do you have to somehow remove the old first?

Hi @Dave S 

Yes, you can import the new fixes and deploy these over the top of the previous ones - no need for uninstall.

Likewise if you have any clients that didn’t get the previous hotfixes, you can jump straight to the latest ones.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

I downloaded the report showing what servers may be effected by Log4j, but the result isn’t what I expected.

Is there no result in the report immediately once installed to the webconsole?

//Henke

The report is specific to cloud apps, oracle, and sql where archiving, masking, and table level restore is enabled - since this combo is highest risk.

Simplest approach is to just update all those apps anyway regardless, but the report will help you target into the affected servers.

Webconsole is not affected by this vulnerability so it wont be on the report.

Ahh that explains. I was confused as I didn’t see any of the servers with SQL agent installed in there, but we don’t have that enabled.

Thanks for the answer.

//Henke

Badge +1

Very useful article guys.  Loved the clarity.    There is a lot of confusion out in the field and a lot of security groups are in panic mode getting fixes implemented.  The Vulnerability Report was a godsend.  Well done.   AMJ

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @BHorner , @m.rieder ,

This path here is where CV stores the older binaries that are replaced by a hotfix. Please ignore these are these files are essentially dormant and will be deleted during the next full MR pack install. It is only showing up because loose hotfixes automatically copy/save the old replaced filers “just in case”. 

These files should be of no concern as no process / code will call upon this to be actively run. 

Thank you

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

hi @mciobanu 

For the moment, you need to apply the fix even if you update from MR23 to MR25, as it’s not included in it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @zahni 

You can register for Commvault Cloud access here:

https://cloud.commvault.com/commcellregistration/commcellregistration-form.jsp

This will enable to view lots of resources, including the Log4J fixes.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge

hello,

is there a easy manual way to determine if a machine has the vulnerability? The report that CV published in the store only shows two machines in my environment that need the hotfix. We have other machines that have sql and oracle and I want to be sure everything that needs the patch gets it. 

Thank you

OK, I found nothing:

( the 2 unkown jar are also from 1.x)

Nessus detected 15 installs of Apache Log4j:  Path    : D:\Commvault\ContentStore\Base\WebApp\shared\tomcat-extras\log4j-1.2.17.jar  Version : 1.2.17  Method  : JAR filesystem search  Path    : D:\Commvault\ContentStore\Base\vmheartbeatmon\zookeeper\lib\log4j-1.2.16.jar  Version : 1.2.16  Method  : JAR filesystem search  Path    : D:\Commvault\ContentStore\CVAnalytics\DataCube\app\webapps\server\WEB-INF\lib\log4j.jar  Version : unknown  Method  : JAR filesystem search  Path    : D:\Commvault\ContentStore\CustomReportsEngine\WEB-INF\lib\log4j-1.2.16.jar  Version : 1.2.16  Method  : JAR filesystem search  Path    : D:\Commvault\ContentStore\Base\WebApp\shared\apache-ant-1.9.4\lib\log4j-1.2.14.jar  Version : 1.2.14  Method  : JAR filesystem search  Path    : D:\Commvault\ContentStore\CVAnalytics\CVSeaHome\app\webapps\server\WEB-INF\lib\log4j-1.2.16.jar  Version : 1.2.16  Method  : JAR filesystem search  Path    : D:\Commvault\ContentStore\Base\DBMinerTool\log4j.jar  Version : unknown  Method  : JAR filesystem search  Path    : D:\Commvault\ContentStore\CVCIEngine\CvPreviewHome\app\webapps\server\WEB-INF\lib\log4j.jar  Version : unknown  Method  : JAR filesystem search  Path    : D:\Commvault\ContentStore\Base\WebApp\shared\apache-ant-1.8.4\lib\log4j-1.2.14.jar  Version : 1.2.14  Method  : JAR filesystem search  Path    : D:\Commvault\ContentStore\CVAnalytics\CVSeaHome\app\webapps\server\WEB-INF\lib\log4j-1.2.17.jar  Version : 1.2.17  Method  : JAR filesystem search  Path    : D:\Commvault\ContentStore\Apache\lib\log4j-1.2.16.jar  Version : 1.2.16  Method  : JAR filesystem search  Path    : D:\Commvault\ContentStore\CVCIEngine\CvPreviewHome\webapps\CvContentPreviewGenApp\WEB-INF\lib\log4j-1.2.17.jar  Version : 1.2.17  Method  : JAR filesystem search  Path    : D:\Commvault\ContentStore\Base\WebApp\shared\apache-ant-1.8.1\lib\log4j-1.2.14.jar  Version : 1.2.14  Method  : JAR filesystem search  Path    : D:\Commvault\ContentStore\MessageQueue\lib\optional\log4j-1.2.17.jar  Version : 1.2.17  Method  : JAR filesystem search  Path    : D:\Commvault\ContentStore\Base\WebApp\shared\log4j-1.2.15.jar  Version : 1.2.15  Method  : JAR filesystem search