Log4j Vulnerability - Please Post All Questions Here

Show first post

344 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

We have installed the latest patch.

But if we scan the Oracle systems, we got always an vulnerability information.

Scanned 5279 directories and 45651 files
Found 0 vulnerable files
Found 2 potentially vulnerable files
Found 3 mitigated files
Completed in 6.89 seconds

The both required Hotfixes 4551 and 4564 are installed.

Hey @Nishika,

Mitigated means the binary is unaffected from the vulnerability (i.e it has been patched) - so no action needed. The reason why your scanner is detecting potentially vulnerable files is because it cannot identify the version, however with the hotfixes installed those files are safe, so no further action needs to be taken. You can double check using the report in the top of this post as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Nick Laflamme II please read back my comments in regards to the information that is shared in the maintenance releases. they made some changes in the way they document the fixes that are embedded in a maintenance release. you can verify it yourself by downloading 11.22.57 and see if the mentions fixes are packaged.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Does this latest MR remove the old binaries from Log4j v1 as well? As I am sure you know, CISA is pushing removal of these. They are EOL and have vulnerabilities of their own. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@MathBob, yes I believe the updated MR release does remove the older version of Log4j from the cached locations after installing.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@MathBob, yes I believe the updated MR release does remove the older version of Log4j from the cached locations after installing.

I am running 11.24.29 on a server and have observed that the old v1 versions of Log4J are still present in the cached locations. We need clarity on what this MR is supposed to do. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Laurent I also had a look and I can confirm you finding and also draw the conclusion that the report itself looks for the specific update versions in the database to be present along with the possibly affected client systems. This specific hotfix information was removed during the installation of the MR. But rest assured the hotfixes are really present but I think it would be smart to update the current report so it also considers the installed MR. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

@Mike Struening 

@Stuart Painter 

Do we need to update  Commserve , Media agents and all Clients to latest MR ( mentioned below ) or only the Clients which are showing in  Log4J Affected Servers report ?

There were 2  SQL clients in my  Log4J Affected Servers report on which i have already installed 

11.24 Log4J-2.16 Fix . My CS + MA + Clients are at version 11.24.23. Let me know if any action is required ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @Nishika 

In regards to your other scan results, these are Log4j 1.x files. These are not impacted by the critical 0-day Log4j vulnerability which only impacts v2.x prior to 2.15. Commvault will address Log4j 1.x files in the near future but in the interim, please do not delete these as it may impact your backups. 

Hi, is there an article stating this as an official stance?

My customers are getting quite tense.

Hi @Shane 

For example here: https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2021-44228 and https://www.cisa.gov/uscert/ncas/current-activity/2021/12/10/apache-releases-log4j-version-2150-address-critical-rce

It is mentioned only 2.x versions impacted

Apache Log4j2 2.0-beta9 through 2.12.1 and 2.13.0 through 2.15.0 JNDI features used in configuration, log messages, and parameters do not protect against attacker controlled LDAP and other JNDI related endpoints

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Mohit Chordia  I would strongly recommend to update all clients to the latest version. That way you are sure you are fully up-to-date and that there are no vulnerable version left in the Updates folder that can be picked up by scanners.

@0ber0n There is no new update for the report so the report most likely will not have the logic to take notice of the version that has the fixes embedded. The current version of the report only looks for the separate hotfixes. 

@Onno van den Berg Thank you . I have installed 2.16 hotfix on the clients which were highlighted in log4j server affected report. No action has been taken on CS , media agents and other clients . If it is not urgent and we are not vulnerable now , i would like to update my complete infrastructure to latest MR next year after the break. Let me know if this approach is ok ?

@Mohit Chordia that decision is all up to you! It should be possible from a technical point of view to run a higher MR on you clients than the one that is running on the CommServe and you are running a recent version so you should be fine. We however always keep the version chain inline because even though it should be possible the chance of running into unexpected issues is higher. Based on the hotfix in the MR I would say the gab between 23 / 29 is about +200 fixes and enhancements.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@wstbackup to answer your other questions:

DBMinertool.exe is used for pseudo mounts and browse of tables for table level restore of SQL

Regarding those files, the hotfixes, once applied, should remove any affected files.  As noted above, there are some versions that are not vulnerable.

Badge +2

Hello,

I have imported the latest version of “ Log4J affected servers “ report, when I run it does not show “ No Data to Display “ but the following, which is slightly different: 

Therefore, I am unsure if the report take into account all of our clients… I mean, I expect to see all clients listed in this report with their version and patch level instead of nothing…

Thank you in advance for your confirmation.
Regards.

R. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hello,

Is this Log4j Vulnerability affect Web Console/Command Center server?

Not specifically; only if those the server running the console also has the affected agents installed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Thanks Mike,

Seems like there is no agents at server:

[root@commandcenter ~]# find / -name "apache"
/var/lib/selinux/targeted/active/modules/100/apache
/usr/share/selinux/targeted/default/active/modules/100/apache
/opt/commvault/Apache/work/Catalina/localhost/ROOT/org/apache
/opt/commvault/Apache/work/Catalina/localhost/adminconsole/org/apache
/opt/commvault/Apache/work/Catalina/localhost/console/org/apache
/opt/commvault/Apache/work/Catalina/localhost/webconsole/org/apache
/opt/commvault/Apache/work/Catalina/localhost/manager/org/apache
/opt/commvault/Apache/work/Catalina/localhost/global/org/apache
[root@commandcenter ~]# find / -name "Log4j"
[root@commandcenter ~]#

Web console / command center does use Apache to service web pages however Log4j v2 won’t be there as it’s not a package that would be needed there.

Badge +1

Link  is discussion - https://community.commvault.com/technical-blogs-and-articles-39/log4j-vulnerability-please-post-all-questions-here-1994

The report available via this link can only be run on a CS/CS basis. CV customer has 28 CS’s that all roll up to a Metrics server. my customer is asking for a report that can be uploaded to that metric server and run on all 28 CCID’s from there. Hopefully there is a solution for customers of this size.

Badge +2

We just got this path reported on our Linux Media Agents

/opt/commvault/Base64/Huawei/FusionStorage/log4j-1.2.16.jar

I know that it’s probably not a problem (as we have nothing Huawei), but Tenable found it, so it’s on our reports and we’re going to want it addressed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

@Gazza 

If you use the copy to cache feature and push to clients, the ones not impacted will have nothing to install anyway. But MySQL, PostgeSQL and SAP at not impacted.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hello,

I have imported the latest version of “ Log4J affected servers “ report, when I run it does not show “ No Data to Display “ but the following, which is slightly different: 

Therefore, I am unsure if the report take into account all of our clients… I mean, I expect to see all clients listed in this report with their version and patch level instead of nothing…

Thank you in advance for your confirmation.
Regards.

R. 

Did you get an answer on your question?  I’m seeing the same screens when I run the report in my environment and I’ve applied the Hotfix to a few servers that I’d expect to show up in the list.

Did the servers have table level restore, archive, or data masking enabled?  Its only going to show the high risk applications with those features enabled.  If you have SQL, Oracle, or Cloud app servers, without those advanced features - log4j 2.x is not in use, so they are lower risk - although we generally recommend upgrading anyway.

Badge

When running the affected servers report I receive “No Data Available” for features and hotfix installed boxes and “No records available” for the bottom table.  Is that the same as your note Note: If the resulting report shows No Data to Display, then there are no affected clients in this CommCell?  Since the verbiage doesn’t match completely, wanted to confirm without a doubt.

Disregard, I went back further in the comments and found this:

Badge

Great write up.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

hi @Santhosh Kumar Sathyanarayanan ,

MA’s is not needed unless it is on an FR/MR pack that is quite old as it is not recommended to run jobs where clients have higher patch level than MA/CS.

Please see top post here on how to identify impacted clients and push install. Basically these would be only the three agents. 

• Cloud Apps package
• Oracle agent - Database archiving, data masking, and logical dump backup
• Microsoft SQL Server agent - Database archiving, data masking, and table level restore

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@Scott Hall - If you are still seeing physical 2.3 binaries in the install path after upgrading, I would open a support case with Commvault to find out why the binaries are still present, ensure all the binaries were updated correctly and your customer is not at risk.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

and any impat based on CVE-2021-44832?

Badge

Thanks @Stuart Painter ,I’ve deleted my previous statement to avoid any confusion to others. Our Commvault environment is already on 11.20.82. Do we just need to copy software updates from 11.20 Log4J Hotfix to cache and push to Oracle/SQL clients ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

and any impat based on CVE-2021-44832?

@Bart - According to the national vulnerability database, this is resolved in 2.17.1.

When is CV going to use 2.17.1?

@nizmoz - Our development teams are aware and will be using 2.17.1, but I do not have an ETA at this time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Top post has now been updated regarding the latest vulnerabilities.