Please share your feedback and questions about the Commvault Community

• 20 January 2021
  • 45 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

We want to make this community the BEST it can be for you and all of our Commvault customers.

Please share your thoughts and feedback on the initial experience here in the community, it will help us improve it for everyone.  Anything you’d like to share about the platform, the content, the ease of use, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

45 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

What’s the difference between this, and the other support forum?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey Bart,

The old forums will be retired …. any minute now ;)

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hey Bart,

The old forums will be retired …. any minute now ;)

I hope the data will be transferred/migrated as there is a lot of information there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This platform is also MUCH more robust.  Searching is much better (and populating your search automatically, even when starting new threads is amazing), gamification is more engaging, and there are all sorts of cool modules we plan to introduce in the coming months.  Our new community has a lot more of what you’d expect from a modern platform.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

This platform it seems more powerful and easily to use than the old one, you guys rocked in that, :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This platform it seems more powerful and easily to use than the old one, you guys rocked in that, :wink:

We’re definitely excited about it, too!  Not only is content creation much smoother and more useful, but the Moderation tools allow us to quickly see what is being posted and respond as needed!

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

This platform looks good, but is there going to be a way to archive the old forums so they are searchable? There is a wealth of knowledge there.

Badge

Great forum - looking forward to getting into the weeds. A ton of info to read. A ton of knowledge to share

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

The new community site looks great, looking forward to seeing more content!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This platform looks good, but is there going to be a way to archive the old forums so they are searchable? There is a wealth of knowledge there.

Hey Michael,

The old platform makes this very difficult to do and we didn't want to delay launching the new community while we figured it out. There was also a lot of outdated content, and without proper classification (like we have tags here), we didn't want to bring in the good with the bad. Instead, we looked at the most popular topics and added them here in the run-up to launch. We think we captured a lot of the most pertinent topics, but anything missing should be regenerated here pretty quickly given the easier and faster experience. Appreciate the feedback, it's still something we will evaluate as a few folks enjoyed the content on the old forums.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The new community site looks great, looking forward to seeing more content!

Agreed!  I’ve probably said this before, but it bears repeating: this already feels like a real community, not just a forum to post questions.  We’re barely scratching the surface of what we have at our disposal for you to see!

Badge +15

Right off the bat I see a lot of the CV staff (I assume) participating here. I take this as a positive move as the old forum seemed a little abandoned even by the CV employees. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Right off the bat I see a lot of the CV staff (I assume) participating here. I take this as a positive move as the old forum seemed a little abandoned even by the CV employees. 

Absolutely.  Vaulters from every department have been contributing!  You should see a little Commvault symbol in any employees avatar/icon, too!

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hey Michael,

The old platform makes this very difficult to do and we didn't want to delay launching the new community while we figured it out. There was also a lot of outdated content, and without proper classification (like we have tags here), we didn't want to bring in the good with the bad. Instead, we looked at the most popular topics and added them here in the run-up to launch. We think we captured a lot of the most pertinent topics, but anything missing should be regenerated here pretty quickly given the easier and faster experience. Appreciate the feedback, it's still something we will evaluate as a few folks enjoyed the content on the old forums.

Thanks for the feedback @Damian Andre  the old content was good (even if searching via google was the best way to find things).  Saved me a support ticket or two over the years!

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hey Michael,

To be honest, it shows a lot nerve to completely wipe the efforts of those made an effort to help to the that community for years. :rage::rage::rage:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Good news to everyone asking, we are planning to archive the old forums and leave them up for reading.  Once that is ready, we’ll make a nice sticky post so everyone can easily find the old stuff.

@Anthony.Hodges @Michael Woodward @Bart 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey Michael,

To be honest, it shows a lot nerve to completely wipe the efforts of those made an effort to help to the that community for years. :rage::rage::rage:

Totally understand, so we are going to leave them around in an archived state.  Once this is done, I’ll get a post up.  Appreciate you and everyone else letting us know how valuable you find the content.  Wouldn’t want to deprive you guys of something you love!

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hey Michael,

Totally understand, so we are going to leave them around in an archived state.  Once this is done, I’ll get a post up.  Appreciate you and everyone else letting us know how valuable you find the content.  Wouldn’t want to deprive you guys of something you love!

@Mike Struening  Yeah, it would be nice if it was publicly archived because it was used as was also linked in the Maintenance Advantage search.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Is it possible to add tags like “SAP for Oracle” (which isn’t using the normal oracle rman interface, but brtools).

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Is it possible to add tags like “SAP for Oracle” (which isn’t using the normal oracle rman interface, but brtools).

Consider it done!

Badge +15

@dorothyt I just thought of a possible capability to the forum. A lot of times, we have people posting and not necessarily marking coming back and marking the thread as answered. What do you think of a “propose as answer” button next to the Quote option where other participants by reading the posts can select and if (i dont know) 2 or 3 people click that option the post is automatically marked as answered. 

Say a user created a topic, never come back or didnt mark the post as answered after 30 days, that post would automatically be marked as responded based on that option. Just a thought.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @dude !  So I have been going through threads that seem to have been either answered, or solidly-advised-and-likely-answered and marking them as answered.  the challenge to any approach is how much time we give.  the good news is that the platform allows us to change the ‘Best Answer’ so there’s not much harm in having to change it.

I think your idea has merit, so I’ll see what options we have (or if I have to suggest it to the vendor).

As always, thanks man!

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hey Michael,

@Mike Struening  Yeah, it would be nice if it was publicly archived because it was used as was also linked in the Maintenance Advantage search.

@Mike Struening Is there a read-only link to the old forum archive now? I recently had an issue with a customer that was using a legacy recall agent that I know was it was discussed in the old forums. Now that it is gone, there was nothing to search for in Maintenance Advantage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Anthony.Hodges , nothing yet.  Proving to be a bigger challenge than expected.

If you have some detail around the issue, I can possible get a query into the old DB and we can spawn a new thread here to chronicle it for posterity?

Let me know if you recall who was involved or any other detail and I’ll see what I can do!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m excited and hope this takes off.  The old forums always seemed a little stale to me and I didn’t often find what I was looking for.