At Commvault, we are constantly looking for ways to solve hard data management challenges in the most elegant way. In reviewing our current quarterly feature release cadence and observing customer upgrade patterns, we have found an excellent opportunity to improve on the customer experience while continuing to innovate and extend our leadership position in the industry.
As some of you might recall, about three years ago we introduced “Long-Term Support” (LTS) releases for our customers who wanted to remain on a supported release for a longer period of time. This option has proven to be very popular – in fact, most of our customers are currently using LTS releases today.
Therefore, beginning this year, Commvault is moving from a 3-month to a 6-month release cadence, where new software releases will become available every six months instead of every quarter. Please note the following with respect to this change:
- Simpler customer upgrade experience: With this move to semi-annual releases, we are making it easier for our customers to adopt our latest innovations. Meanwhile, Commvault long-term support (LTS) releases will still occur once per year, leaving the experience unchanged for those customers that choose to remain on those releases. In addition, please note that the change we are announcing here does not apply to Metallic SaaS releases; those releases will continue unchanged.
- High pace of innovation continues: With this change, Commvault will not be slowing down its investment in innovation. Quite the opposite, in fact, as some features that were scheduled for later this year will now be released sooner.
- Monthly maintenance releases will continue as usual: Commvault will continue monthly maintenance releases, ensuring that we can deliver critical updates when needed. Security updates in particular will continue to be made available as frequently as needed.
With this change, the next two semi-annual releases will occur on the following dates:
- Tech Preview on June 15, 2022 (this will be a long-term support (LTS) release)
- Tech Preview on Dec 15, 2022
We are excited about this change, and we are looking forward to sharing the details of the next release with you soon. It has all the hallmarks this new release cadence allows including new services and solutions to lead the market and solve our customers’ most challenging data management problems!
Let us know your questions about the new cadence, we look forward to hearing from you.