Solved

1 Touch Backup and Recovery for AIX Clients

• 4 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Dear All,

I have around 40 AIX clients with 7.2 OS which is in backup rotation. I would like to enable the 1 touch recovery option from advanced settings. Although for AIX, I should deploy a dedicated 1 touch server and a 1 touch server directory in the same server to perform 1 touch backup and recovery of all AIX clients.

However I am now confused with system requirements for 1 touch server and also if I am planning to use the same 1 touch server for all the 40 clients what should be system requirements and also the directory size?

Can anyone help me on this?

Regards

Ananth

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 4 March 2022, 11:29

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Ananth 

You will need to deploy 1-Touch Server that must be a dedicated AIX machine running the NIM master server environment.

Please see 1-Touch for AIX: System Requirements.

Here’s some additional resources from IBM regarding NIM server:

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/aix/7.2?topic=management-nim-concepts

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hello @Stuart Painter ,

Thanks for your response, yeah I have gone through the system requirements already, although my question was on compute resources required on 1 touch server and also the size of directory which we are about to use during the 1 touch backup and recovery.

As per documentation, system requirements talks about the specifics of our application bot for the complete server resources. Regarding the 1 touch directory we need to choose the largest client and we need to make sure that we have double the size of volume external to rootvg. 

If I am planning to backup multiple clients, am i good to use the same directory from the same 1 touch server? or do I need to create sperate folders for each client under the 1 touch directory for each clients available in backups?

Regards,

Ananth

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Ananth 

There is a requirement for NIM Master server disk space, but this is for concurrent recovery jobs, so you will need to ensure enough disk space is provided in order to perform the anticipated number of concurrent recovery jobs:

6-8 GB of a disk space is required per recovery job on a NIM master server. The disk space size depends on the size of the MKSYSB backup of the client's root volume group (rootvg). For example, if you plan to recover two AIX services or LPARs at the same time and the average MKSYSB size is 8GB, you will need 16GB of disk space.

To find the disk space size:

1. Right-click the subclient, and then click Backup History.

2. On the Backup History Filter dialog box, click OK.

3. In the Backup Job History tab, right-click the 1-Touch Backup job and click View Job Details.

4. On the Job Details dialog box, click the Attempts tab and check the Size of Application for the 1-Touch Server Update phase.

5. Click OK.

Thanks,

Stuart