Question

Actual Barcode not identified on commvault

• 16 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hello, Team

So, i have just recently reconfigured my tape library and i can not identify cartridges with their barcodes.

I can see the barcodes from tape library but not on the commvault end. When checking the properties, I see Barcode Reader: No.

Is there anything to do on commvault end to ensure the barcode reader is seeing the actual barcode.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @Mubaraq 

Can you clarify what you did “reconfiguring” the library? What happened that it needed to be reconfigured? Was there data on the tapes associated with this library?

It may be best to get a case opened with Support to review\discuss to verify there is no potential data-loss.

If there was no data on the tapes associated with the library, you may need to update the Barcodes.

Update Media Barcodes - Overview - https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/10165_update_media_barcodes_overview.html

Thank you,

Collin

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Thank you, @Collin Harper 

The tape library was relocated from a one collocation site to the other and tape was zoned using a completely different Fabric switch.

The tape library had to be reconfigured on Commvault to write data. Data is writing fine but the barcodes are not updated.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Thank you, @Collin Harper 

The tape library was relocated from a one collocation site to the other and tape was zoned using a completely different Fabric switch.

The tape library had to be reconfigured on Commvault to write data. Data is writing fine but the barcodes are not updated.

Most likely you didn’t configure the barcode reader, on some libraries the barcode reader has its own scsci Id , So you have to configure the tape drives, the controller and the barcode reader. 

I have not done this in years so I can’t give you actual details on the process but check your library configuration, if the barcode reader isn’t configured it will show up with a question mark over the device.

Badge +3

@Mubaraq : Is this issue got resolved as I am also facing same kind of issue but unable to resolve till now