Solved

Agent with both SQL and File backup. Are SQL files automatically filtered?

• 25 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

A client with both File and SQL backup activated: Will commvault automatically skip SQL data like mdf, ldf in the File backup?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Onno van den Berg 25 January 2022, 12:23

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @No special characters 

No, it unfortunately it will not skip them automatically. I opened a CMR for it in the past to have this implemented and to have them make the behavior consistent between Windows and Linux but for some reason the CMR was closed without notice. 

But it can be configured manually → https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/18497_excluding_application_files_from_windows_file_system_backups.html

For Linux → https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/20313_excluding_database_application_files_from_unix_file_system_backup.html

My CMR requested it to make it automatic as such that when you have a DB agent installed then it will automatically skip the DB files from FS backup once the database is actively protected. I have asked for feedback why the CMR was closed without change.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Thank you @Onno van den Berg !

BIF = Built-In Filter? Do you know?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Thank you @Onno van den Berg !

BIF = Built-In Filter? Do you know?

Ye, I think you are spot on! 

Badge +3

@Onno van den Berg Would you happen to have that CMR number? Let me see if I can find out any information on it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Onno van den Berg Would you happen to have that CMR number? Let me see if I can find out any information on it. 

Sure, the CMR number is 273927. It was closed with the remark that it was implemented as part of FR21 but this is definitely not the case. My request was to make the behavior for both Windows and Linux consistent and have it nicely integrated into Command Center. I also reached out to my contacts within development but I'm still awaiting for feedback. 

Badge +3

@Onno van den Berg I do apologize for the confusion this issue has caused. 

The original CRM 270498 was create in SP18. 
The CRM indicated that it was closed because the issue was fixed in SP20. 
Reviewing the SP20 Maintenance Release, I do not see any mention of this correction. (Should be part of the base code) 

There are additional notes indicating that the fix was also re-addressed in Sp21. 
Reviewing the SP21 Maintenance Release, I do not see any mention of this correction. (Should be part of the base code) 

The Associated SP21 Form ID 98288. 
Summary : Use nFilterApplicationFiles for filtering application files on windows
With the Updates: 121091 (Bin)

The expected behavior is that if SQL IDA is installed, the FS should filter out the SQL files. 

If you should discover otherwise, please do contact the hotline and have a ticket opened so that we can further troubleshoot the issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Ray Han ,

Thanks for the swift delivery of information, reading it raised some questions:

• You only refer to Windows, was it also addressed for the other agents as mentioned (Oracle, Exchange etc)
  • You refer to the situation in where the agent is deployed. Should it also create backups before the files are excluded from FS agent? This is the behavior according to the documentation for Linux.
  • Can you make sure documentation is updated accordingly? 
  • Previously this option was a opt-in so you had to enable it. Is that still the case?
  • Why are they keeping it still behind an additional setting?

Hope you can deliver some answers!

Thanks in advance!

Onno