Solved

API commvault manager credentials

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello Community,

I am looking for some way of the manage credentials by API, to create new one cloud library in Azure and automated process creation new cloud library in Commvault. I checked the link with API but inside is lack of details about the topic. Cloud someone show me the details for that API request?

Reagrds,

Michal

icon

Best answer by Michal128 31 May 2023, 15:11

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Azure Keyvault.

I googled the link for you, but some reason it won’t allow me to paste it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello,

I recieved, how to deal with API for Credentials Manager. I can sent reuest GET, POST too, so new credentails can be  created, but I can’t receive from which point of my infrastrcture I can receive that paramter called password, as on the screen below: 

I know that confirmPassowrd is exatcly the same what I can receive from the Azure storage Account, but what is the first paramter and how to get it?

JSON file comes from Commserve Webconsole, very useful to built some automation. 

Regards, 

Michal. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Because credential manager is not meant to be used the way you are attempting to use it.

You can see me posting about the same issue here. 

What you really need is a credential store.

At this point most cloud providers have created them even some verndors like oracle have the.

Here are a few options:

If you work in any fairly large company it’s quite likely that there are already secrets managers in place in your organization.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello,

I think that the Azure KyeVault solution. So You think better is using Azure KeyVault than Commvault Credetials Manager ? But in this wat how to configure Storage Account in Commvault site. Could You explaine me that configuration more ?

Regards, 

Michal

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

The commvault credentials manager will not return a password natively. 
its not intended for use as a password store.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello, 

But the password I can get directly from Azure portal for the storage account and in the script it is showed as confirmedPasswod as a second value, the first one is something like a encypted password and I am looking for how to generate that first value when I have password for storage account? 

Regards, 

Michal 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

I can’t really answer questions of how to configure these solutions.

this is strictly speaking not commvault issues.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello, 

It is not solution out of Commvault site. Password is genereated by Commvault from Command Center. It appears after clicking Equivalent API for Cloud library configuration. 

Regardas, 

Michal 

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello Community, 

I can generate that password by this commands: 

$encodedPass = [System.Text.Encoding]::UTF8.GetBytes($storageAccountKey) 
$passToCred =[Convert]::ToBase64String($encodedPass)

Please be aware how to do that :). 

Regards, 

Michal

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

The problem with doing it this way is that password is now in plain text. Thats the reason why secret stores exist so you don’t actually save or transmit the password. 
if you are using impersonate creator in the workflow whoever runs the workflow now has access to the password

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello Clecky, 

But the creation of that credentatials is not ongoing by workflow, only by API. So I don’t use workflow in that process. The password can be taken even only the process for creation storage account. 

Regards, 

Michal