Solved

Archive deletion for Oracle DB backup to be disabled from Commvault

• 9 December 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

I would like to ask some opinion on this option.   Upon the request of our Oracle DBAs in our small company we are disabling the Archive deletion
within the Oracle database backup. We will let our Oracle DBAs manage the Archive logs including the deletion

I would like some opinion/points on this before we even proceed.   I am not an Expert in Oracle and would like some advice 

Any help is appreciated

icon

Best answer by Sunil 9 December 2021, 13:53

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi,

Would like to understand you question in more detail. But answering below as per what I understood.

Usually people delete archive logs once they are backed up as part of the Commvault backup job itself so that the log area doesn’t get filled up and bring down the database. Not deleting the Archive logs during Commvault backup is not a problem as long as the DBAs take care of cleaning them up.

And it will not cause any issues with database recoverability as long as the logs are continuously backed up to Commvault.

However, if the Archive logs are not cleaned up promptly, it might increase the backup size as the same Archive logs may get backed up multiple times.

Thanks,

Sunil

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

“However, if the Archive logs are not cleaned up promptly, it might increase the backup size as the same Archive logs may get backed up multiple times.” 

Very good point @Sunil … I’ve just been there and done that recently. A really “doooh!” scenario just because one wanted to help the DBA out.. :-) 

/Rubeck