Solved

Automatically removing the offline / decommissioned DB from Subclient

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hi Team,

Is it possible to configure where the offline / decommissioned Database from SQL server will be removed from the Subclient ? 

icon

Best answer by Scott Reynolds 19 May 2022, 13:45

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello @Allan0105 

I believe you are talking about a database that has been removed from the SQL server itself, correct? In that case when the database no longer exists on next backup when the discovery detects it's been deleted that database is removed from the subclient content.

This is the default behavior. You can choose to have the deleted DBs NOT be removed from the content tab by leveraging an additional setting:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/18172_configuring_subclient_to_not_remove_deleted_databases.html

It can be set per client/group or at the control panel to affect the entire CommCell as per link above.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Allan0105 

I believe you are talking about a database that has been removed from the SQL server itself, correct? In that case when the database no longer exists on next backup when the discovery detects it's been deleted that database is removed from the subclient content.

This is the default behavior. You can choose to have the deleted DBs NOT be removed from the content tab by leveraging an additional setting:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/18172_configuring_subclient_to_not_remove_deleted_databases.html

It can be set per client/group or at the control panel to affect the entire CommCell as per link above.

Thanks Scott, yes you are correct but what if the SQL team offline an database, will commvault remove from sub client automatically when backup runs  ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Allan0105 

If a database is configured within a subclient content and the SQL admin removes the database on SQL level then the subclient will still exist.

Depending on the content definition (detect DB vs static content) it will keep the config or adjust it accordingly.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Allan0105 

If they take the database offline it's not removed from the content however that status of the database is checked at the beginning of the job during discovery. Any offline databases will be skipped on the backup. It will be noted the database was offline and skipped in the status tab of the job. It will still complete the other DBs normally.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Allan0105

If they take the database offline it's not removed from the content however that status of the database is checked at the beginning of the job during discovery. Any offline databases will be skipped on the backup. It will be noted the database was offline and skipped in the status tab of the job. It will still complete the other DBs normally.

Thanks Scott for your information !

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hi @Allan0105 

If a database is configured within a subclient content and the SQL admin removes the database on SQL level then the subclient will still exist.

Depending on the content definition (detect DB vs static content) it will keep the config or adjust it accordingly.

Thanks Jos! 

Badge +2

Hello,

I have an additional question for this thread:
What other db operations except:

• deletion,
  • attache / detache,

can removed db from the Subclient contents?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

/none that I am aware of @Piotr Grzegorek , though @Scott Reynolds might have ideas.

Are you seeing anything like this occurring, or just curious?

Badge +2

/none that I am aware of @Piotr Grzegorek , though @Scott Reynolds might have ideas.

Are you seeing anything like this occurring, or just curious?

Hello Mike, the customer just wants to have full knowledge.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Are you looking for a REST API call to do this?

We have a ton of stuff available at http://api.commvault.com

Let me know if that’s the type of operation you seek.

Thanks!