Solved

Azure File & Blob in the same pseudo-client?

• 13 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I have a customer that has numerous Azure Storage accounts that require protection. Up until now we’ve configured all in Command Centre as two separate clients as we use two different authentication mechanisms for each type.​​​​ This was OK with a small number of accounts, but I now need to look at protecting a lot more.

Would it be possible to create the client via Command Centre as a blob account which uses VM IAM role for authentication and then dive back into the Java console and add a second “instance” to the pseudo-client by right clicking on the “Cloud Apps” agent and adding a new instance similar to below:

New Azure Storage Instance

Then in the Connection Details tab change the Host URL to file.core.windows.net and set the authentication as Access Key and use an appropriate credential?

Connection Details

This way I can control the number of clients configured in the environment as there could be a hundred or more accounts to add in. 

Expert documentation seems to suggest it can be done: https://documentation.commvault.com/2023/expert/30074_configuration_for_azure_blob_storage.html

@MFasulo will this break Command Centre?

Also, could there also be licence implications as it would then be one logical client instead of two?

icon

Best answer by Michael Woodward 14 February 2023, 00:28

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Have played in my lab this evening, I think the cleanest way to configure is to do it all in the CommCell Console by creating a pseudo client and adding one of the services (blob or file) and then the other service as a 2nd instance.  Then it appears as a single client in the commCell Console:

In Command Centre they show up correctly:

I then associate the instances with a plan and everything seems to work.  

Is there a way to achieve this same config purely in Command Centre?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Michael,

Is the concern the number of entities that will need to be managed?  Or that when created via CC, you end up getting 1 client for each entity (essentially doubling the number of pseudo-clients in Java UI). 

Make sure to “@” me on the reply 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Michael,

Is the concern the number of entities that will need to be managed?  Or that when created via CC, you end up getting 1 client for each entity (essentially doubling the number of pseudo-clients in Java UI). 

Make sure to “@” me on the reply 

Hi @MFasulo 

The issue is that when you have a single storage account with both blob & file based storage in the same account you have to create two clients in Command Centre, is there a way to add the 2nd instance via Command Centre?

This results in client sprawl which is particularly noticeable in the Java UI. If I’m going to be adding somewhere in the region of 2-300 storage accounts for both blob & file-based protection that’s a lot of clients to manage (even to scroll past!), the configuration method via the Java UI does what I need but I want to make sure there’s not a better way of managing this in the Command Centre.