Question

Blackout window vs enable total running time

• 19 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

Appreciate if someone can clarify below question,

we have critical system backup run mid night and if incase the backup job doesn't complete before working hours we need the jobs to be queued or killed ,

which one to use  , i can below option for schedule which i can apply for individual task under a schedule ,

what if I enable total running time but didnot selected kill running job when total running time expires ?

and if i set blackout window for client or server groups how it will affect,

suppose my job starts at 12 am midnight and i set blackout window from 8 am to 6 pm

what happends to a job which started midnight and could not complete before 8 , will it get killed or suspended or queued ,?

i can set blackout window for individual client from java console can i do the same with comcell console without creating the server group

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @Ajal 

Using a blackout window, running jobs will be suspended until the blackout window is over. Using Total Running Time, the job will be killed after [x] hours.

Both will accomplish your goal, it just depends on what behavior you would prefer, suspended or killed.

Thank you,
Collin

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

@Collin Harper  

below commvault statement is bit confusing 

When blackout window operation rules are configured, operations that are started within the time window specified will go to a queued (as opposed to pending) state. After the time window specified in the blackout window operation rule has elapsed, these queued operations resume automatically. The window rules are applicable only to the new operations that start after the time window.

can you give me a reference in the commvault document, a job started before the blackout window will be suspended even if its in running state 

also 

i can set blackout window for individual client from java console can i do the same with comcell console without creating the server group