Solved

Can my CommServe version go back if i make a DR restore

• 14 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hi guys;

i need some help about this,

I perform a feature release update today, but after that my main production cluster server stop working telling me that one of the server in the cluster is in another version of the software, which its true.

But my questions is If I perform a DR restore to the moment before the update start will my commserve perform a downgrade to the version it was before the update.

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 14 February 2022, 07:08

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Montilla04 

When you perform an FR update on the Commserve two things happen:

1. The binaries are updated to the new version.
  2. The Commserve database is updated with changes for the new FR.

If you perform a DR restore, the database would be back to the earlier FR version, but the binaries would not. Depending on the type of clustering in use, you could end up with mis-matched binaries and database across the nodes.

If you wanted to roll back completely to the earlier FR level when the DR backup was taken, you would need to perform a full uninstall and reinstall with the previous version, then perform a Commserve DR recovery operation.

I suggest if you’re having difficulties with the Commserve post update, let’s address those issues as it’s likely a cleaner and faster fix than roll back.

If these issues are having an impact to your operations, raising a support case is the best way to get the help you need and fastest resolution.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +2

Hi Stuart @Stuart Painter

When you say this “ If you wanted to roll back completely to the earlier FR level when the DR backup was taken, you would need to perform a full uninstall and reinstall with the previous version, then perform a Commserve DR recovery operation”.

Do i have to perform the process  on the main CS server and all MA before to do such task or only in the CS?

And about the binaries if  I perform the restored should  all MA and they going back to version of FR if I repair them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Montilla04 , the CS DR itself is on the Commserve.  what @Stuart Painter is saying is that the database ‘thinks’ you are on the later version.  If you restore an older one on top of it, then the binaries will be on the later version, mismatched with the database.

In any version reverting, you have to uninstall the software on the CS (be sure the database copy is safely elsewhere), install the older version that matches the database you plan to restore, then restore the db.

This way, they are all in synch.

Now, that db likely thinks the MAs are of an earlier version as well, so you may have to do the same process, sans the db restore on the MA(s).

Badge +2

thanks @Mike Struening  and @Stuart Painter for bring me  light with this questions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Our pleasure!