Solved

Check if Diag Patch is installed

• 24 November 2022
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Hi All,

this is more an wish to commvault and not a big problem :) 

So let me try to explain the point:

In 02.22 yo have an problem and open an support case the case is escalted to dev team and you get an diag patch. You are happy that after the instalaltion the backup or restore is running fine. The case is close and everthing is forgotten :) Than you update the envirmoemnt in 05.22 to the latest version and the diag patch was overwritten because it wasnt implemented in the new release. What happen you run into the same problem you open an support case and get an diag patch. 

So my wish is that the installer check if an diag patch is installed and failed to update. Or give me an hint that there is an diag patch installed if you install now the update the diag patch is gone or in best case i get an message the diag patch will be repelace with hotfix update nummer 4567. One trigger could be good. 

To you have an idear how to prevent updateing clients with diag patches ?

icon

Best answer by Steven Robinson 5 December 2022, 11:17

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

As far as I know there is no automatic method to prevent updates when a Diag patch is installed.
The installer automatically uninstalls conflicting patches during the update.

Best bet is to exclude machines containing such updates from the update schedule / manual update selection. Or if the DiagPatch supports it, re-install it after the updates.
Again, not all DiagPatches support this method!

Additionally, you can ask support if the patch will be included in a future MR or FR. If so, then they can advise in which MR or FR this will be so you can plan/coordinate patches accordingly.

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Hey Jos,

al true but dosent help :) If you have an big enviroment with a lot of clients and a lot of admins you will trap into the problem again and again. The BEst way i guess is that the installer check this and prevent the installation. 

My opionan was that this idear finds ears and commvault wants do work on it because its an good idear ;) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I agree that would be best, somewhere an option to prevent such updates.

Hopefully someone from dev will read this 😊
Other option is to take initiative and initiate a CMR at Commvault, then it will definitely be seen, and they can evaluate if this can/will be implemented 😋

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

CMR is also an good idear but they way is hard and there are a lot of stones :) 

Lets see if someone from cv is reading this

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@SSchmidt 

There wasn’t any official Hotfix/MR?  I am really surprised.

Do you have the original case number so I can investigate please?

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@SSchmidt 

My take on this.

1. The case shouldn't be closed when you implemented a diag and it works for you. Better to wait till support can confirm which hotfix will replace the diag and in which Maintenance Release (MR) the hotfix will be in.
  2. If you want or need to install f.e. MR 40 and you know the hotfix for the diag will be in MR 42, you should ask support to get a recut of the diag or ask for a hotfix bundle that can be installed on top of MR 40.
  3. I agree with @Jos Meijer that this would be a good candidate for a CMR, and yes it might be something that will not be fixed in current release but at least it might be something that can be done by development.

Kind regards,

Remi

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Ok, I found it. The reason is because the original Diag was killed and later updated with a new Diag.

Summary : *** SHOULD NOT BE USED ANYMORE *** (Use SP24 form # 4830 instead which has more changes.)
Form Abandoned (Killed)
Reason: Killing this as SP24 form # 4830 is latest and has more changes

So it was then part of MR49 released in May/June 22.

To be honest this is not happening really often, but I understand it can be frustrating.

Of course you can create a CMR and we will check with Development.

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Hey Sebastien,

i´m looking for the cases. The Actually diag patch is v11SP28_Available_Diag3315_WinX64.exe in Case 221104-297 . 

So in our story we had problems in SP26 and got an diag fix than we patched on sp28 and the diag patch was removed and not included in SP28

So my wish was to get an info generally when i do an client update and there is an diag patch installed i should get the inforamtion attantion do you wish to go on. This affects all clients and infracomponents. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@SSchmidt ,

ok, I agree with Remi, either you keep the case open until you have the official Hotfix/MR or the other option is that you can also request a new Diag for the new version before you close it.

Please create a CMR and we will look at it.

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Doesn’t mitigate the installation issue overwriting diags but if you have access to your cloud metrics portal you can run the ‘Client Details’ report and add in the ‘Additional Updates’ column.  Any stand-alone hotfixes or diags (PreRelease-) will be listed.  You can filter ‘Additional Update includes PreRelease’ and ‘IsActive = Yes’ and then schedule a report or run it manually before you update the clients to track which diags you have in the environment.  This way you can exclude those clients or confirm with support that the official hotfix is included in the maintenance release you are moving to.