Solved

Command Center and single-server Exchange clients

• 4 February 2021
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10
  • Commvault Certified Expert
  • 46 replies

Hi! Are there any plans to support single-server Exchange clients in Command Center?

We are trying to switch from Java GUI to CC with new customers, but there is always something missing… :relaxed:

Btw, how do you guys handle situations like this? Switching between consoles can be very confusing, especially for new users.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Chris Hollis 5 February 2021, 00:06

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @euMike!

Hope you have had a nice week and great question! 

Confirming we have a project being worked on to provide stand alone exchange agent support via the Command Center.

You can quote CMR# 230749 to your account manager who can provide you with updates on it’s progress (reviewing it just now, it’s still being worked on - release date TBC). 

As for how we handle the situation - well, from a support perspective, we’re of course happy to provide verbal or visual guidance/instructions on how to configure via the Java Console - e.g. for exchange stand alone, the steps are outlined here:

I understand that there will definitely be frustration for some customers who have limited knowledge of the original JAVA console and are instead familiar with the CC, unfortunately this goes hand in hand with the evolution of the product from a primarily core JAVA GUI to a more advanced web-based console.

I envision at some point in the near future we’ll have all features and capabilities via the Command Center - Until such a time support is here for you. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@Chris Hollis ,the point is: some things you *must* do with command center,some things you *must* do with java console.  That's really problematic.

Also,for msps,you don't want to use the Java console… especially because that's very unstable. (Well,the command center also has a lot of bugs :p)

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@Chris Hollis ,the point is: some things you *must* do with command center,some things you *must* do with java console.  That's really problematic.

Also,for msps,you don't want to use the Java console… especially because that's very unstable. (Well,the command center also has a lot of bugs :p)

We continue to address the “musts”, so this continues to diminish over time.     

For this exact case, I spoke with my engineering counterparts and we will get this fixed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I understand :) I’m only showing the “frustration” which we sometimes have as a customer, while we do understand it takes time to implement all those things.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I understand :) I’m only showing the “frustration” which we sometimes have as a customer, while we do understand it takes time to implement all those things.

All good, keep the feedback coming, as it help prioritize what we are implementing!   

Badge +15

Please add the ability to generate reports for delegated mailboxes. A way to generate a list of mailboxes that are currently delegated in Exchange. No easy way to do that today other than a SQL query which CV never want was customers to do anyways. = )

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Appreciate your feedback @Chris Hollis !

When I met Commvault for the first time few years ago, I was told by engineer “Don’t touch Admin Console, Java only!” :slight_smile:

I think we can all agree that Command Center has really come a long way, especially in the last year. I patiently wait for new releases!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Please add the ability to generate reports for delegated mailboxes. A way to generate a list of mailboxes that are currently delegated in Exchange. No easy way to do that today other than a SQL query which CV never want was customers to do anyways. = )

@dude tell me what you want to see on the report, ill make it happen.

Badge +15

@dude tell me what you want to see on the report, ill make it happen.

Thank you @MFasulo  I have seen a few things around exchange mailbox agent and during this time have requested improvements. I have these that I do not know the status but they should all evolve around the exchange agent (CMR 284170 / CMR 274268 / CMR 284553 / CMR 304259)

A little summary of what I can remember.

1- The ability to generate reports of stubbed mail per user. detailing which email is stubbed etc. 
  - FYI - tried this report (https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=99748.htm) and it is not helpful. Actual HTML/PDF something more along the lines of a job summary report, friendly. Took me a ticket and few days to get current available option on the link to work and even support struggled.
2- The ability to generate space gains based on the number of stubbed email items.
3- In Command Center you can delegate mailbox. Once you delegate, if you dont document/write that down and leave the company there is no way to another admin other than a SQL query or entering mailbox per mailbox to find out which mailboxes are delegated. A report to find that out would be awesome.
4- The ability to  create a report that;
  - Shows you which mailboxes failed and a detailed error. Currently job summary will show completed with errors for the subclient and will not detail which mailbox actually failed. You would have to go to job history, double click the job and look the status.
  - Job summary report is not suitable for JAVA Interface nor WebConsole in general. 
5- Most of the time, clean up jobs will show completed with errors and that is also impossible to find out via report or even looking at the job details. Unless you dig down to the logs there is no way today.

I hope it helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@dude I'd also like to be able query the SOLR for mailboxes that were protected on any given jobid/datetime. Only the failed mailboxes discovered are recorded in the CSDB, hence the need to query SOLR.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @euMike!

Hope you have had a nice week and great question! 

Confirming we have a project being worked on to provide stand alone exchange agent support via the Command Center.

You can quote CMR# 230749 to your account manager who can provide you with updates on it’s progress (reviewing it just now, it’s still being worked on - release date TBC). 

As for how we handle the situation - well, from a support perspective, we’re of course happy to provide verbal or visual guidance/instructions on how to configure via the Java Console - e.g. for exchange stand alone, the steps are outlined here:

I understand that there will definitely be frustration for some customers who have limited knowledge of the original JAVA console and are instead familiar with the CC, unfortunately this goes hand in hand with the evolution of the product from a primarily core JAVA GUI to a more advanced web-based console.

I envision at some point in the near future we’ll have all features and capabilities via the Command Center - Until such a time support is here for you. 

Hi guys,

sorry for resurrecting this thread, but is there any ETA on having single-server Exchange clients support in Command Center?

We are running an MSP CommCell and have multiple external customers with Exchange single-servers. Ofcourse we cannot expose the JAVA GUI to these external customers. But this currently makes it impossibe for them to add, configure and restore from Exchange single-servers. They currently have to go through our support guys for these actions. :-(

Thanks for any feedback!

Regards,

Patrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @pdijkgraaf !  No update to share yet on CMR 230749, though I can see that it has a vote in its favor.