Solved

Continuous backup and synth fulls

• 11 June 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hello,

I would to set continuous incremental backups every 30 minutes from last job’s end time and synth fulls during the weekend, on laptops.

I’ve created a schedule policy with this settings.

My problem is that many users, friday evening, shut their laptops, hanging in most of cases an incremental backup, then when synth full is triggered, it fails because their is already a job (that’s what i could trace).

The problem is that i approximatively never have successfull synth fulls.

So, is there a problem wanting to set a backup sequence this way?

Thanks in advance for tips on it.

Regards.

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 11 June 2021, 21:44

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @f-red,

I think there are a few ways to accomplish this. Probably more than the two options I listed here :)

1. To continue with what you have, you could set a maximum job run time on the incremental schedule (say for 12 hours), so that come Saturday or Sunday, no jobs would be running

2. Use laptop automatic schedules instead
    - Set the minimum sync interval to 30 minutes (it will only only run if the client has accumulated changes, therefore wont run if the laptops are turned off)
    - Use a manual or automatic synthetic schedule 

You could also use operation/blackout windows, and turn on the option to kill jobs running in the window: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=127255.htm

There is a specific section in the documentation about configuring scheduling for laptops that you can check out here: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=41287.htm

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

f-red,

There isn’t a problem with this configuration, per se, but given the explanation of behavior you have described there may be other settings/options we can use to get the desired results.

What time do you schedule the Synth Full back to run on Saturdays? We can try setting a maximum run time for the Incrementals which ensures any hung up for sufficient time is automatically killed: Setting the Total Running Time for Jobs (commvault.com)

Regards

Badge

One way to do this is as Damian also mentioned use “automatic” synth full schedule, With automatic, synth full will kick off when incremental finishes.  Also unless there is a hard requirement to run weekly synth full we recommend it to run in once in 30 days.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hello all,

Please excuse my answer time.

Thanks Damian you drove me on useful ways, and thanks further replies too.

For now i would estimate to prefer predictability on automatic scheduling, but i will surely re-think about it.

I’ve chosen;

• To set a max time of 4h on incremental with no kill if elapsed
  • To set a 5 retries on synth fulls
  • Reschedule synth fulls on sundays at 5h

I’ll review it next monday.

Thanks again all

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks, @f-red !  I unmarked the reply as the Best Answer so you can confirm on your side.

Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hello,

I still encounter problems, i’ve set:

• To set a max time of 4h on incremental with no kill if elapsed
  • To set a 5 retries on synth fulls
  • Reschedule synth fulls on sundays at 5h
  • A blackout window preventing non full on sundays from 0h00 to 8h00

My laptop, to test, is constantly on, problems:

• Last continuous incremental on 26th from 23h47 to 23h53, ok
  • A new failed incremental failed started on 27/06 at 00h27, end time 4h27 with these messages:

Description: Killed and marked as failed by System. Source: xxx, Process: JobManager  The job has exceeded the total running time. Source: xxx, Process: JobManager  Blackout Window for Client prevents the Backup job from running right now.

• Synthfull failed to start on 27th at 5h00: another backup is running…

So i’m a little bit suprised of this behaviors, do any master could give some hint?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@f-red , the 4 hour kill looks like it worked as set, though if no other job was running, then the job on the 27th should have run just fine.

Can you check the job history on that subclient (include aged data) and make sure there wasn’t some other job running?  This might warrant a support case….