Question

Data deletion(retention) on cloud storage

• 5 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +5

I had setup a scheduler to perform Full backup everyday and the storage policy associated to it has retention of 0 days and 1 cycle. I had run the scheduler manually twice on the same day, data backup is successful but the first data backup is not deleted from cloud storage yet. 

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @Lahari 

Have you run data aging after the second backup? The old cycle won’t be aged until Data Aging runs and data wont be pruned until it is marked for pruning (by data aging).

Thank you,
Collin

Badge +5

Hi @Collin Harper Thank you for your input there was issue with data aging job, fixed it and had run the data aging Job and a part of data in cloud storage is deleted. Is it mandatory to run data aging job or it runs on some schedule basis, if it runs automatically can you let me know the time frame it runs 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @Lahari 

Data Aging by default is scheduled to run daily at 12PM.

Thank you,
Collin

Badge +5

Hi @Collin Harper 

• Could you let us know all the possible kinds of deletes customer implements other than retention and how to configure them. 
  • Could you also help us if there is any place inside Commvault to review performance stats like IOP’s, Latency for delete operation.
Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @Lahari 

There are no “other kinds of deletes”. Once a job meets retention it will age. Once a block is no longer referenced by other jobs they get pruned. SIDBPrune.log on the MediaAgent will show performance statistics.

Data Aging for Deduplication - https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/11947_data_aging_for_deduplication.html

For example, in the following diagram 3 jobs (Job1, Job2, and Job3) are retained in the storage.

• Job1 has exceeded retention.

• Job2 and Job3 has referenced blocks from a data chunk belonging to Job1.

When data aging job runs, it will determine if the data blocks from the data chunk are being referenced from other jobs. In this case data block C and G will no longer be referred when Job1 is aged and those data blocks will be deleted. All other data blocks will remain in the disk.

68862.png

Thank you,

Collin

Badge +5

Hi @Collin Harper, We are planning to perform load testing for Commvault. If I upload same file using different name will it be considered as same file by Deduplication or since name is different will it be considered different file and Deduplication will not impact it.