Solved

Difference between Incremental Storage Policy and Log Sorage policy

• 5 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

What is the difference between Incremental Storage Policy and Log Sorage Policy? And Which one should I use with PostgreSQL Incremental Backups? We know that Incremental Backups are translated to Transactional Log backups. 

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 5 October 2021, 15:33

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Eduardo Braga , this option allows you to force Incrementals or Log files (or both) to a different Storage Policy altogether.  The use case is for scenarios where you want different libraries used (different retention as well).  

As an example, you may have Fulls go to Tape and Incs/Logs go to a disk library.

Note that’s entirely optional and not necessary to enable this.

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

@Eduardo Braga , this option allows you to force Incrementals or Log files (or both) to a different Storage Policy altogether.  The use case is for scenarios where you want different libraries used (different retention as well).  

As an example, you may have Fulls go to Tape and Incs/Logs go to a disk library.

Note that’s entirely optional and not necessary to enable this.

I thought in a different use case for this, for scenarios where I want to dedup Full Backups (main Storage Policy) and don't want to dedup Transaction Logs (Incremental Storage Policy). Does it make sense to you? I think that there is no real benefit for the Commvault to dedup Transaction Log data. Maybe some compression benefit. And there are possible advantages to that approach. I'll start another topic for that.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Transaction Logs aren’t deduped, regardless of the Storage Policy, so  no need to worry about that caveat :sunglasses: