Solved

Disk Library Question

• 22 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi Team,

I have 2 physical media agents.
I have mount paths that come with SAN from block storage.
The question is: I want to create 1 Disk Library and I want to use my 2 Media Agents. Is it possible?

icon

Best answer by Collin Harper 23 May 2023, 16:08

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @0ber0n 

Yes you can do this. You can have each MediaAgent hosting mount paths or you can have one MediaAgent hosting mount paths and Share the paths to the other MediaAgent. 

Note: if you have both MediaAgents hosting mount paths you will still need to share the mount paths to the other MediaAgent so they can read from each other.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/9374_sharing_mount_path.html

Thank you,
Collin

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @Collin Harper 

Thank you for the answer. So, can we use this structure as read/write to the same mount path with both media agents?
Does work in DDB Verification, Restore and Synthetic Full jobs as well?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @0ber0n 

Yes you can have 2 MediaAgents reading and writing to the same mount path and all operations are supported. The only caveat is when the mount path is shared with DataServer-IP where only Read access is supported for the shared MediaAgent.

Best practices for DataServer-IP mount path sharing - https://kb.commvault.com/article/80533

Thank you,

Collin

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @Collin Harper 

Thank you for the answer

To summarize,

We are mapping Mount Path 1 to MA1 over SAN.
We are creating a Disk Library consisting of Mount Path 1 and MA1.
We share Mount Path 1 from Commvault Console as UNC path to MA2 with Data Server-IP feature.
In this case, I would like to ask the following question:
1- I guess there is no obligation to map Mount Path 1 to MA2 over SAN?
2- After sharing Mount Path 1 as UNC path to MA2, should we be worried about ransomware protection?

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @Collin Harper 

You can ignore my message above. I saw that there is no need to define UNC path when sharing as Data Server-IP. I want to ask:
1-Is it mandatory to SAN map MP1 to both MA1 and MA2?
2- Should I use MP1 in the same folder structure in both MA1 and MA2? For example, if I mapped MP1 to the folder named C:\DiskLibrary\Volume01 in MA1, do I have to use the same structure in MA2?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @0ber0n 

You should not map the same SAN target to both MediaAgents. You should map it to one and share it to the other.

Thank you,

Collin