Solved

Domain/Forest recovery- has anyone actually used this?

• 1 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

There are AD plans available in commvaut- but that only backs up the objects. The only way to get the full backup is a system state- which is not included in an AD backup. 

There is also a test workflow within the command center that will test the forest recovery. 

My questions is - has anyone had to actually do a domain restore? Im not talking Bob’s account that was deleted, but an actual domain controller restore and domain restoration. 

I would love to hear about it.

icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 7 June 2023, 16:34

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Matthew M. Magbee 

I have not used the workflow, but in the past I have recovered complete domains using the file system agent on the DC.

A quick walk through assuming the whole AD is gone:

I perform a full backup including system state of the DC, preferable the DC with the FSMO roles on it.

As for recovery either:

• Install the new DC with the same OS and patch level, install the CV file system agent, restore the complete backup in place with Primary selected in SYSVOL options, or
  • Prepare the environment for 1-Touch Bare Metal Recovery, this way you can boot from an ISO and recover the machine without first installing the OS, patches and CV agent.

After reboot:

Then I would continue towards a HA situation and validate with a second DC if a replica can be set up.
If all is working I would work on systems relying on the AD functionality.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, if not let me know what your thoughts are :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

This makes sense , however ; Would we have to restore the FSMO and manually rebuild the rest of the domain controllers?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yes, restore one DC with the FSMO assigned then install new DC's and let them receive a replication. Quicker then restoring all of them and ensures that no other DC is trying to act as a primary DC, to say it in legacy terms