Solved

Executed Backup Report

• 12 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello Guys,

The Company’s board requested a backup execution report since the month of January. I tried to run report, as shown in the images below. I put Range Time from January To May, but the report only backs from March to the current date

Is there a way to run this report as the backup run since January?

icon

Best answer by clecky 12 May 2023, 19:02

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

How long is your retention?  It’s likely not reporting on jobs that no longer exist.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello @Scott Moseman 

First, thanks for the help

The retention period is 15 days.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

I’m surprised there are jobs from March, unless those clients don’t have more recent backups to have aged them off yet.

The Backup Job Summary report is not an audit report.  It’s only going to show you jobs which you can recover data from.  It would be misleading if it was to report on jobs which are no longer available for you to perform restores.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Ok @Scott Moseman 

I Understand, so for me to make a report since January will it not be possible?

Is there no other way to make that report?

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

I’m surprised there are jobs from March, unless those clients don’t have more recent backups to have aged them off yet.

The Backup Job Summary report is not an audit report.  It’s only going to show you jobs which you can recover data from.  It would be misleading if it was to report on jobs which are no longer available for you to perform restores.

Thanks,
Scott

This is a little but surprising. In most cases reporting servers exist specifically to capture data that is not held in its primary source.

think about reports that are produced for say compliance where you would have to prove that backups were taken even if they are not available for restore.

i would assume that there would be some option to include aged data rather than having it disappear 

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Seems it’s a configurable setting.

https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/essential/39299_configuring_retention_settings_for_metrics_reports_data.html

Those settings should tell you how far back your reports can go.

if its not configured to go all the way back to January its likely the data is gone.

You can simply set the reporting now to the time you need your reports to be retained moving forward.

There are likely ways to get the older data but it would require a significant amount of time and resources. So for example you can stage the database from DR restores to capture time periods older than your retention assuming that you have extended retention for your dr backups and export the history of the jobs into a csv.

if this data is super important for litigation or compiance this is an option. But if you do do it you might want to export all the jobs in the time period that you need that way if you get another request for something similar later on you wont need to do this exercise again.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

This is a little but surprising. In most cases reporting servers exist specifically to capture data that is not held in its primary source.

think about reports that are produced for say compliance where you would have to prove that backups were taken even if they are not available for restore.

i would assume that there would be some option to include aged data rather than having it disappear 

Optionally a customer can install a Metrics Reporting Server.  This metrics server will maintain data for a longer period of time, and job reports can be run against it for audit purposes.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/1760_installing_metrics_reporting_server.html

The issue is the CommServe is not designed to be a reporting server.  Keeping data longer than necessary means a larger database.  Get too aggressive with the extra retention and it can start to impact the performance of the CommServe database.

Thanks,
Scott