Solved

'Failed to install IISServerRoles2012' error during service pack upgrade

Badge +3

Hello.

The Commserve server you are currently using has Commserve version 11 Servicepac8 installed (OS is Windows 2016)
Error message 'Error: Failed to install IIS Server Roles 2012 (IIS Server Roles 2012) with error code 0x80070422.' occurred during Commvault SerivcePack 20 upgrade.
IIS 10.0 is currently installed on that server, and the Windows update service is running normally.

Is there a way to install IIS Server Roles 2012 separately?

Or if there is another solution, please share it.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 18 May 2022, 15:48

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

hi @tmyoo 

This reminds me of one of my previous upgrades..

We discussed it a bit at the bottom of this topic : 

So, basically, you are trying to upgrade from v11SP8 to v11SP20, correct ?

Which Maintenance Release of Feature Release 20 are your trying to deploy ?

Badge +3

hi @tmyoo 

This reminds me of one of my previous upgrades..

We discussed it a bit at the bottom of this topic : 

So, basically, you are trying to upgrade from v11SP8 to v11SP20, correct ?

Which Maintenance Release of Feature Release 20 are your trying to deploy ?

Hello

I checked the link you gave me.
The error during IIS Server Roles 2012 installation is the same as my issue, but the error code displayed is different.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@tmyoo what pack are you trying to install (and what are you on now)?

Badge +3

@tmyoo what pack are you trying to install (and what are you on now)?

Commserve Server is currently using Servicepack 8 and is attempting to install ServicePack 20.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The only other case I see in our system that matches this issue came down to a user profile corruption issue. It could be worth creating a new admin account and trying the upgrade under that. Not sure if that will resolve the issue, but it seems similar to yours.

Badge +3

The only other case I see in our system that matches this issue came down to a user profile corruption issue. It could be worth creating a new admin account and trying the upgrade under that. Not sure if that will resolve the issue, but it seems similar to yours.

Hello.

do you mean that I should try to upgrade by creating a new Windows administrator account?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

hi @tmyoo ,

There’s a bit of confusion in versions, service packs and hotfixes or the way to call them (because mostly Commvault changed their way to name them, and we’re a bit used to it 😊).

Can you check in your Commserve, if from Commcell console, at the bottom right of you console, this is your version information  : 

or else from the Command Center (or webconsole from ‘old’ versions naming) : 

This is what we’re trying to find first from your current version : v11.8.something

Then, we’re trying to find out what it the version you are trying to apply  : v11.20.somethingelse.

Another useful check : is your Commserve windows 2016 server up to date regarding microsoft patches ?

Badge +3

hi @tmyoo ,

There’s a bit of confusion in versions, service packs and hotfixes or the way to call them (because mostly Commvault changed their way to name them, and we’re a bit used to it 😊).

Can you check in your Commserve, if from Commcell console, at the bottom right of you console, this is your version information  : 

or else from the Command Center (or webconsole from ‘old’ versions naming) : 

This is what we’re trying to find first from your current version : v11.8.something

Then, we’re trying to find out what it the version you are trying to apply  : v11.20.somethingelse.

Another useful check : is your Commserve windows 2016 server up to date regarding microsoft patches ?

Hello

Currently, the customer's Commvault Version 11 Service Pack 8 does not have Hotfix installed.
I would like to upgrade to ServicePack20 Hotfix 99.
Windows the 2016 the latest update is installed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@tmyoo the Commserve is at v11 SP8?  Going to 11.20.99 will be a very big jump.  I would say it should be a pretty smooth process, though you likely have Deduplication databases on rather old versions and possibly v1 indexing in play.

One thing to consider is that 11.20 is the lowest Long Term Support (LTS) release.  Going to 11.24 will keep the customer on a supported version for as much longer amount of time.