Solved

File Archive - PDF recall failure

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

I’ve configured File Archiving for a customer on a Ntapp NAS device.
Everything is working correctly during a recall operation on all files that have been archived, except *.pdf files.

When you try recall you get the below error:

You’ll click ‘OK’ and then try the recall a second time and it runs successfully and the file opens.
Adobe Reader is the default PDF application on the user’s workstation.

This is being noted on all user workstations.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks.
Mauro

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 27 September 2021, 23:01

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi Mauro,

It sounds like Adobe is opening the stub file before it has been fully recalled, hence why the second attempt is successful.

Is this environment performing lots of recalls?

Can you confirm the specs of the Windows Proxy for FPolicy?

Best Regards,

Michael

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Michael

Thanks for the feedback.

There’s about 2-3 recalls per day. The specs on the proxy are quite high.We have the ‘Large’ spec recommendations.

CPU/RAM

12 CPU cores, 64 GB RAM
(or 12 vCPUs/64 GB)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Mauro - it’s been a while since I’ve done much with Archiving, BUT - Adobe Reader is known to be a bit difficult with archiving ever since adobe X’s “protected mode”. Try to disable protected mode and see if it helps:

https://helpx.adobe.com/reader/using/protected-mode-windows.html

Badge

Hi Mauro , 

Can you please also check if the antivirus is disabled.

If the issue still persist , Please gather the Service Pack Level , size of the file , adobe version and commvault logs from proxy machine and MediaAgent.

Thanks,
Savitha

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Good morning

I finally got a response from the customer. They disabled AV on the client and they have the same issue.
What they noted is that it definitely is only Adobe behaving in this way. 
On the second access, the pdf opens. 
Is this not perhaps an Adobe issue where it immediately reports an issue as the stub is unrecognised whereas other applications wait for the stub to recall the file. 
On second access, the PDF is always accessible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Glad to hear it, @Mauro !

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Good morning

I finally got a response from the customer. They disabled AV on the client and they have the same issue.
What they noted is that it definitely is only Adobe behaving in this way. 
On the second access, the pdf opens. 
Is this not perhaps an Adobe issue where it immediately reports an issue as the stub is unrecognised whereas other applications wait for the stub to recall the file. 
On second access, the PDF is always accessible.

Good to hear, ask them to try disabling protected mode, I think it should help - but otherwise if their users are OK with the double open, that works too.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I would try as @Damian Andre said, disable protected mode in Adobe and see what happens. - It has been known to be difficult with archived files.

Have you tried opening the stubbed pdf in another App to see if that has the same issue? like Web Browser or Notepad?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi all

I wanted to give an update on this. I do have a call open with support in the meantime.
Adobe Reader still won’t recall the files on the first attempt.

I tried Slim PDF Reader and Wondershare PDFelement. The exact same issue is being experienced.

If I open the pdf stub with Microsoft Edge, I can recall and it opens. I’m also able to use one of the abovementioned PDF readers to open the recalled file.

So the issue doesn’t seem to be unique to Adobe reader, but any third PDF reader.

The customer has reported the issue on some JPEG files too (first recall fails and second one is successful), so I will testing that next.

I have disabled AntiVirus on the client I’m recalling from too.

I’m wondering if anyone has any other ideas or has seen this before?

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mauro , thanks for the update!  I have unmarked the Best Answer reply so we can capture the full, final details.

Can you share the case number so I can track it?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

@Mauro , thanks for the update!  I have unmarked the Best Answer reply so we can capture the full, final details.

Can you share the case number so I can track it?

The case has gone to the Dev team for investigation. I’ll give an update as soon as I have one. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I figured it would.  Definitely a tricky one.

Can you pm me the case number so I can tag it onto this case (for internal tracking)?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

I’ll definitely send you the case info shortly.

I asked the customer to disable AV scans on the Media Server (recall proxy) and this solved the issue. It’s interesting in that AV seems to allow the recall operation and not the final launch of the file using non MS application.
I’ve asked for a review of the exclusions so am waiting for that to happen. I suspect the offending process is ClMgrS.exe on the MA.

I’ll keep you updated on this post.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate it, @Mauro !!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sharing the case resolution:

The client is using ESET for AV protection and the exclusions have been added a while back.

Customer disabled ESET from the recall server and everything is working as expected. They are working with the AV Team to resolve.