Question

Hana Pipe / nPersistentLogBackup

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Hi,

is this key nPersistentLogBackup

https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=%22nPersistentLogBackup%22&id=4969

an global key on commserve or can i use this key on a specified host to disable the pipe option ? 

17 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @SSchmidt 

This is a host key, the additional settings needs to be added on the SAP HANA host.

Persistent log backups for SAP hana are enabled by default with the latest versions of commvault.

Is there any specific reason why you would like to disable this feature?

Regards,

Gowri Shankar

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @SSchmidt 

What is the use case are we trying to solve using this key? As @Gowri Shankar mentioned, persistent log backup is the default now, and we don’t suggest turning it off unless there is a specific reason to do so.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Hi,

we had the need to run every 15 Minuts an log backup and after that an auxcopy to different dc. The thing is we can only copy the hana job when its done. So when the pipe has an duration from 1h we can only copy every one hour this is to less.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @SSchmidt 

Can you please see if this setting helps with your requirement? All completed archive files should be picked up for aux copy if this is enabled on the primary.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

hi,

doenst help the persistent pipes are not picked. During the running time of the pipe i did not see any hana job in the secondary copy. Only after the pipe was closed. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

You may not see the job as completely copied. But the underlying archive files should be getting copied over. Let me also check this in the lab and get back.

One correction in my previous response. This setting needs to be enabled on the secondary copy, not primary. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Hey,

yes the option is needed to set on copy 2 i know. 

But the thing is how can we monitor something what happed oder the hood ;) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @SSchmidt 

Yes, I understand it’s difficult to monitor this copy.

We verified this in the lab, the completed backup jobs are getting aux copied and restores from the partially copied jobs also work fine.

If that’s not happening in your case, we may need to check further why the persistent jobs are not picked up.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Hi,

how do you checked this ? I did not see the running pipe in the primary copy and also not in the secondary copy until the pipe is closed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

We ran a latest PIT restore from copy 2 while the persistent backup is still running and verified the database is recovered to the expected time.

Another way is to look at the archive files list in the CommServ DB which should list against the secondary copy too.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Hey Sunil,

thats an good test but for us its not practicabel. We have to present the auditors inforamtion that the jobs are available in both datacenters at the promised timerange. 

Maybe you have an idear for my actually problem :) I had disabeld the persistent pipe option for one client to see what happend. 

After the pipe ended the jobs come in. 

Pipes:

Than i disabeld the pipe:

No problem but than:

and doing nothing:

Dont understand that.

Error is:

Error Code: [80:36]
Description: No more allocated streams are available.
Source: xyz, Process: backint_hana

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I got it. We will need to check why the log backups without persistent pipeline are failing. One problem with non-persistent backup is that it will send a fresh request for a backup stream every time the job starts. If the log job doesn’t get a stream in time the job might fail. But this is only a guess from me on the symptom you shared. We may need a support ticket to look into this further.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Hi,

okay the error after disabeling the pipes is gone. We also did not went into any problem after we disabeld the pipe for production. 

But please lets come back to the monitoring / Alerting / Reporting point. 

So Lets say you make every 15 minuts hana log backups and you would like to copy every 20 minuts the logs with auxcopy to another datacenter with mediaagent an storage. 

How can we track this inforamtion and how can we report to an audit what this process is working fine. 

Restoring an hana db daily in dc 2 is not an option also its not an option to check daily something in an sql table. 

There must be an report or somethinge elese that shows when the option pick running backups in the secondary copy is on and we have the default value of 6 hours that the process is working. 

Can you please check it internaly if there is any possiibility to track this or what can we do as an partner that commvault work for an solution wich can be used from endcustomer easily.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @SSchmidt 

I understand your requirement. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any existing report which tracks the aux copy status of part of a running job. You may contact support and raise an enhancement request for this.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

so lets see :) we had an discussion with the partner manager and now i hopend an case to create an cmr. 

Badge +1

@SSchmidt, We also have similar requirements, Are you able to fix it?

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

hey we disabeld the hana pipe function and user single jobs