Solved

Hardware refresh of old search engines

• 17 October 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

We have numerous search engines and nodes that are Windows 2012 R2.  These nodes are no longer actively indexing data, but are being kept to allow searches.  We would like to update to a newer version of Windows.

I found the P2VCiIndexMove workflow to perform a hardware refresh, but have a couple questions.

1. Will this workflow work in V11.28 (2022E)?
  2. Is it possible to refresh the hardware and re-attach the disk that contains the index?
icon

Best answer by Collin Harper 18 October 2022, 16:30

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @askesi 

Yes, using the workflow is still the recommended way of doing this in SP28E. Regarding the index disks, it would be best to let the workflow move the index for you. It may be possible to move the SCSI targets from one server to another, but the workflow will make sure everything that needs to be done (setting Roles and updating the registry) is done to avoid issues post-migration.

Badge +2

@Collin Harper We have started reviewing this process and ran into a potential issue.  All the Search Engine nodes have been upgraded to V11.28.17.  We would like to install the CV Search Engine and then re-attach the index disk(s).  The new servers will have the same name/IP as the originals.

When we attempt to install the Search Engine from the V11.28 media on a new Windows 2022 server, the Search Engine component is not available.  Do we need to install using V11.24 media and then upgrade to V11.28?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @askesi 

What is the issue you are running into? Did you not use the workflow for the Hardware Refresh?

Thank you,
Collin

Badge +2

To refresh the hardware we need to install the CI search engine.  We don’t see the Search Engine component available in the V11.28 installation media.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @askesi 

Can you let me know how you are downloading the software? Is it via the GUI or the the Cloud Website?

Thank you,
Collin

Badge +2

I downloaded the V11.28 bootstrap installer from Maintenance Advantage.  I then selected the option to download packages to install on another computer.  Thanks.

Badge

Which component replace the search engine from former versions ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Sir, you will need to use the 11.25 media kit to install the legacy “Search Engine”. This package is no longer available in the media kit from 11.26 onwards and is now no longer supported from December 2022 onwards. You can still download the 11.25 media kit to install the Search Engine and Compliance Search packages. Will be interested to hear whether this installed Ok on Windows Server 2022. Probably better to use to 11.24 which is long-term support rather than 11.25 which is only short-term support and now deprecated.