How to create work flow to check CommVault services on SQL server VM's.

• 4 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hello,

sometimes after vm reboot CommVault services do not come up even those are set to auto-start services when os starts,

if such scenario happens for any of client how we can create work flow to check CommVault services on SQL server VM's  as we do run it manually on CommVault process manager and get email alert if not running or try to start twice and get email alert. 

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hello,

sometimes after vm reboot CommVault services do not come up even those are set to auto-start services when os starts,

if such scenario happens for any of client how we can create work flow to check CommVault services on SQL server VM's  as we do run it manually on CommVault process manager and get email alert if not running or try to start twice and get email alert. 

You should use snmp to monitor Commvault services. 

You don’t want to use the same system to monitor to monitor your own services.

Add port 8400 and 8403 to the ports you monitor in SNMP and this will help you not only when doing an upgrade but it will also warn you of services failing before a backup runs so you can often fix a backup failure before it even fails.

Badge +3

Hello,

Can you configure the below alert on these machines to get alert to monitor the services?

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/111280_generating_alerts_for_offline_clients_01.html

Thanks

Prakash

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hello,

You should use snmp to monitor Commvault services. 

You don’t want to use the same system to monitor to monitor your own services.

Add port 8400 and 8403 to the ports you monitor in SNMP and this will help you not only when doing an upgrade but it will also warn you of services failing before a backup runs so you can often fix a backup failure before it even fails.

Hello chrisknows,

Thanks for your reply and solution given, I will implement that.

Additionally can we perform workflow in which if we found services are not running then we can start using other methods such as command line or PowerShell scripting for specific number of retries.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hello,

Can you configure the below alert on these machines to get alert to monitor the services?

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/111280_generating_alerts_for_offline_clients_01.html

Thanks

Prakash

Hello Prakash,

Thanks for your reply and solution given, I will implement that.

Additionally can we perform workflow in which if we found services are not running then we can start using other methods such as command line or PowerShell scripting for specific number of retries.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks for the inputs given, but my concern is not about SQL services on CommCell,

my concern is for SQL server client which have enrolled in CommCell.

let say if CommCell tried to take backup for SQL client but found that client is not reachable due to CommVault services are down on Client SQL server, in that situation i want to create workflow which start the Commvault services on Client SQL server (any CMD or remote command ) which can execute by workflow and start the service of Commvault to take backup.

it is just to check services (network test tool is already available for that) and start the CV services by adding additional code in workflow to start services, if not started by workflow fire email alert to inform admin.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

I reread the original post.

my apologies for my first reponse, I read it on my phone while waiting in line at Dunkin Donuts.

Do it using powershell.

reboot the server, check service status via powershell,

restart services after a reasonable time. After x attempts send email via powershell.

doing it via workflow doesn’t make alot of sense in my mind.