Solved

How to modify well known filetypes associated with Content Library

Badge +2

Hi Everybody,

I need to modify the associated well known filetypes in Content Library but couldn’t find any information on how to do this. Some associations do not work for me the way they are associated. Also need to add additional filetypes like e.g. heic or rmvb.

Does anybody know how to modify this?

icon

Best answer by J.B. 1 August 2022, 15:13

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good morning.  When you say “I need to modify the associated well known filetypes in Content Library”, are you referring to the contents of a subclient, and if so, what type of agent are you needing this done for?

Badge +2

Hi Orazan,

I am using the collections of file extensions in the Content Library of a Windows subclient to define the content to be backuped as shown in the screenshot below. 

However those associations of “well known file types” available there are not suitable for my needs and also not very up to date.

This is why I am looking for a way to modify those file type associations. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Here is the document on configuring user defined subclients:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/18413_creating_user_defined_subclient_for_windows_file_system_agent.html

Have you looked at this document on Wildcards for the Windows File System agent?

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/62537_wildcards_for_windows_file_system_agent.html

Badge +2

@Orazan I already saw those but they do not answer my question.

The links you referenced only describe how to use the %Image% wildcard when defining the subclient content.  

I just want to modify which filetypes are associated to %Image%. Like adding the *.heic filetype to the list of associated filetypes to cover IPhone made photos in that format as well as well.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

So you want to do C:\images\*.heic? That’s acceptable content. 

Badge +2

@Aplynx I want to add the equivalent of e.g. \*\\*.heic to the filetypes associated with the well known filetypes for image files

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @J.B. 

Unfortunately I think these are ‘hard coded’ and cannot be customized individually by a customer. However, your request makes sense given millions devices now use heic as their standard image format. I can create a CMR (customer modification request) to request this be added to the software.

Badge +2

@Damian Andre 

Hello Damian, thanks for your answer. From previous answers that is also what I fear, this being hardcoded.

I would appreciate it very much if you could start a CMR for this. This is for me not just about this one example filetype but rather more than 15 other ones as well from different categories.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Damian Andre

Hello Damian, thanks for your answer. From previous answers that is also what I fear, this being hardcoded.

I would appreciate it very much if you could start a CMR for this. This is for me not just about this one example filetype but rather more than 15 other ones as well from different categories.

No worries, thanks J.B.

Turns out heic was added in FR25 - but I get your point about this being use customizable.