Question

Incremental Backup are not working

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Team,

I have Facing an issue in commvault backup, While taking the incremental backup of an file system server backup is failing  with below error.

Error Code: [7:286]
Description: Failed to backup file that qualified as extents

Current Commvault version  :11.28.24

Please share me any solution for this issue

Note: Manually I can able to take synthetic full backup it will working fine, only issue is incremental backup only

20 replies

Badge +15

Not a lot of information here to really drive the analysis. You could have collected logs and shared.

I would begin with another FULL backup followed by another Incremental and see if the issue continues, it could be a simple corrupt index issue and that could solve the problem. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Dude,

Thanks for valuable reply,

I have manually try to take the synthetic full backup This is working fine, after that I will initiate the Incremental backup but again its failing. with above mentioned error only.

Badge +15

Hi Dude,

Thanks for valuable reply,

I have manually try to take the synthetic full backup This is working fine, after that I will initiate the Incremental backup but again its failing. with above mentioned error only.

I did not mean a Synthetic FULL, I meant a regular FULL backup.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Ok I will try it , and come back to you

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @Adarsh.op 

Is the client having the issue a Linux LVM based server?

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hia Zubair,

Thanks for your reply,

No this windows server, and is configured as file system backup in commvault.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @Adarsh.op 

Was this working before? Is it a new config?

what is different here from the other windows clients?

is there are any special config on the subclient ? 

Has a CV client re-install done as a troubleshooting step?

Has the client been re-registered, if possible (delete the client/ backup (if possible), re-register it)

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Zubair,

Thanks for your reply,

It was working before now a days only backup going to failed. This is File system cluster windows 2016 servers(2 nodes are present)

is there are any special config on the subclient ? NO

Has the client been re-registered, if possible (delete the client/ backup (if possible), re-register it) its not possible to do right now.

Has a CV client re-install done as a troubleshooting step?NO

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@Zubair Ahmed Sharief - We should never delete the client & reinstall it. This is not the correct approach.

@Adarsh.op -  No need to run a full backup. Just provide us the job ID where you saw this event, and share FileScan.log & clBackupChild.log from all nodes involved.

File could have been shrinked at a later point, which might have resulted in this event. Next job (incremental) will pickup this file again and back it up.

Do you know the filename & size of the file in question? Is this a static (no new data dumped / file modified when job is running) or dynamic file?

Edit : Just noticed post is 2 months old, is this issue still happening? Does this happen for all jobs?

Thanks,

Sparsh

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Sparsh,

The Issue will come at intermediately I cant able to share the logs becuase this restricte customer site, Could you please share any troubleshooting steps for solve this issue.

Both Incrementala dn full backup are failing with same error

Do you know the filename & size of the file in question? No Is this a static (no new data dumped / file modified when job is running) or dynamic file? New Data is dumped

Error Code:7:286

Description:Failed to backup backup files that qualified as extents.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Sparsh,

is this issue still happening?  YES

Does this happen for all jobs? No one singlke job, Tjsi is Windows based file system cluster

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Adarsh.op 

Can you please raise a ticket with customer support?

As a temporary workaround, you can disable extent based backups by adding below additional setting on the client (or all clients in case of cluster node) -

https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=%22bEnableFileExtentBackup%22&id=7641

Set it to value 0.

Thanks,

Sparsh

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Adarsh.op have you tried installing the latest maintenance release on one of the affected clients? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Adarsh.op ,

I found the correct error message so others can search and find this post:

Failed to backup files that qualified as extents

Can you check the free space where JobResults is located and move it if needed?

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for your reply,

Jobresults having free space is available

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Sparsh,

Thanks for your reply

Can you please raise a ticket with customer support? No

Below you shared link is not opening could you please share again

https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=%22bEnableFileExtentBackup%22&id=7641

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Berg,

Thanks for your reply

have you tried installing the latest maintenance release on one of the affected clients? No

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Adarsh.op ,

I see one customer ran a Full Backup which fixed the issue, maybe you can try that then and confirm.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Adarsh.op Why can't you open a customer support ticket? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @Adarsh.op 

My team has fixed the issue with the additional settings site, so the link should work now. If you’re still getting errors, try clearing your browser cache and then refresh the page.