Solved

Incremental Backups for FS looks empty!

• 7 December 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

Hello guys.

we have AIX Nodes we are taking backup from some directories, these directories contains millions of files so we are using weekly synthetic full and daily incremental
i got a restore request on a day which an incremental backup was performed so i browsed the job and found no items 
i checked the size of the backup job and it was 613 kb. 
backup job status was completed and no errors

and i have checked the synthetic full job which was after this incremental and i found it contains old data no new files was found with the recent day! 

i know that synthetic full jobs does combine the set of inc jobs to create the full synthtic job then get the delta from the client itself 

can someone clarify to me if im wrong and explain this behaviour. 

thanks 

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 7 December 2021, 16:09

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You have the behavior correctly understood.

Essentially, you run an initial Full backup, then Incrementals will protect any files that have been modified since the last backup.

A synthetic Full creates a backup using the Full as a baseline, while protecting the most recent versions of any changed files.

In your example, if not files are changing in the contents of the subclient, then the Incremental will have no actual content (the few KB you see is just the index metadata).

If the whole week is the same (all empty Incs), then the Synth Full will basically be identical to the previous one.

Now, the file(s) you need to restore are likely there in a prior backup.  Instead of browsing the job itself, browse by content and you should find it.

Keep me posted on the recovery!

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

Thank you @Mike Struening  for the replay and sorry for the late response. 

i have logged on the node and found that the files were not updated for long time. and synthetic full were working properly.

thanks alot for the support !