Solved

Invalid Data on Media - Copy Status Not Available

Badge +4

In the above screenshot, it shows that some backup are Invalid and the the copy status is unavailable and it sets the retention date for 3 months later. I believe there may be a setting somewhere to change that retention date but I do not know where.

Also, is there a way that if the copy save on the media agent that returns to be invalid/not available to be retried and remove the failed one? If I look for the dedicated job on the storage policy, its all green so I can’t change it there.

Thanks all.

icon

Best answer by MartinD 6 May 2021, 16:26

View original

13 replies

Badge +15

Hey @MartinD 

Commvault by default will keep failed/invalid/killed jobs for 90 days but if you want, that can be configured through the Media Management. Simple go Storage Tab at the top section in your Java GUI, Media Management and Data Aging.

Refer to: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11952.htm

As for your second question, you can change the number of resubmits before a job goes “failed”.

Refer to: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=6333.htm

Let us know if that clarifies your questions.

Thanks

Badge +4

Hi @dude ,

Thanks for your reply. Is it possible to setup the Media Management configuration for a set of backups? I have about 1000 servers to manage and I do want to keep the default value for some but others I don’t really care.

For resubmits jobs that failed, the problem is that said job doesn’t fail. Just the data saved on the media agent is invalid. Would the resubmit catch the invalid data? 

Thanks

Edit: 

I just reviewed again and the resubmit works as already in place and the Job ID is duplicated with the failed data. So by editing the keep failed/invalid/killed jobs for XX days would correct this. So I’m back to my first point, is it possible to have it setup for some dedicated resource and not for the whole platform? 

Badge +15

Hi @dude ,

Thanks for your reply. Is it possible to setup the Media Management configuration for a set of backups? I have about 1000 servers to manage and I do want to keep the default value for some but others I don’t really care.

I do not believe this is possible since the setting presented above would be applied at a global scale. What you can do is to manually remove/delete the unneeded jobs. Refer to: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11930.htm

For resubmits jobs that failed, the problem is that said job doesn’t fail. Just the data saved on the media agent is invalid. Would the resubmit catch the invalid data? 

As for the second part of your question, I`m not completely sure I understand. If the job is completed/green how is this job showing as invalid on your media? I would double check and make sure you are looking at the exact same job because this is not normal from what I can see. 

Badge +4

Hi @dude,

Reviewing the content on the datapath it showed the same job id for the invalid part and the completed part.

If I review the job ID in Attempts it would show a failed backup and a completed one. 

Now there is invalid data on the datapath taking unneeded space and the only way I found to remove it, is to delete the job. But by deleting the job it would also removed the completed and working data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@MartinD, it looks like the job restarted the backup phase and completed (so the overall job is ok).

What do the events show?

Badge +4

@Mike Struening  No events associated with this job were found.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Curious….is the mount path in your initial screenshot the source copy or an aux copy?  It might be that the aux copy didn’t finish that job; other than that it may be best to open a support case.

Badge +4

Its the source copy.
Aux copy are performed twice daily and we keep a local copy for a couple days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s definitely interesting.  I would suggest creating a support case.  If you do, send me the ticket number in a pm to track.

Badge +4

Hi Mike, 

I’ll open a ticket and let you know.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @MartinD !  Found the case and see you are working with my friend John T!  Looks like communication errors (so far).  I’ll keep an eye on the case, though feel free to advise when the case is resolved!

Badge +4

@Mike Struening 
The resolution is that the invalid data will stay there until the main job related to it age. 
The support agent mentioned that even tho its stated invalid, commvault may still use some chunks from it which is why its keeping it.

To free the space we can only delete the associate job and we can not only delete the invalid data.

Thanks for the follow-up!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate the confirmation, @MartinD !!