Question

Java console access for non-adminstrators?

• 12 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Good morning,

I manage a DBA team and we’ve only been granted access to the command center.  Our storage admins don’t want to give us access to the java console out of security concerns.  My understanding is that the java console doesn’t grant us *any* additional permissions, but does provide some advanced functionality that would be very useful to us.

Have any of you ran into this?  Do other DBA/Apps/etc teams have access to the command center GUI and the java console?  We have MS SQL, Oracle, Postgres and Mariadb here.

Thanks!

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Java vs CC are just different GUIs.  The permissions remain the same.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Thanks Scott; can you see any reason to restrict access to the Java console?

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

The Java GUI is “heavier” and does have a few more advanced knobs and levers.  However, unless there’s something you really need to adjust in there, I prefer using the CC.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

The Java console has a much steeper learning curve.

I discourage giving access to the Java console to anyone who isnt a commvault administrator.

that said what is it that your admins can’t do that they need. 

this is necessary feedback to bring the command center up to parity with the Java Console as we can request the features to be added. And it may even already be in a version you are not currently running or already in the development pipeline.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

It seems some of the advanced restore settings cannot be reached from the command center.  As we hit issues in the command center, I will follow up with requests for enhancements.  Thanks both of you for the information!

Thanks- Chris

Badge +1

Hi Chris,

Sure. can you confirm what database restore options are missing?

Thanks,

Brahma