Solved

LiveSync between two SQL AlwaysOn High Availability Cluster

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi guys,

I would like to know, please, whether it is possible to configure LiveSync between two CommServes, each of them is installed on a SQL AlwaysOn High Availability Cluster? Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 17 May 2022, 23:20

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Adel BOUKHATEM 

Not really sure what you want to achieve as Commserve LiveSync already provides you with a HA setup.
Additionally when you use an alternative SQL implementation you will loose the Commvault provided SQL license.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Jos Meijer ,

Thanks for your response; Actually I am aware that the livesync is enough to achieve HA, however I have a constraint that forces me to install the CommServe on alwaysOn environment.

What I am trying to do is to have two clusters on two separate sites, one active cluster and one standby with LiveSync. I know how to configure LiveSync between two single nodes, but still not sure if it is possible between two clusters: I mean it should be, but just wanted to confirm.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Adel BOUKHATEM 

Ahhh ok I understand 😀
Not sure, I will take a look if I can identify if this is possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Thoughts so far.

Looking at the recovery procedure for SQL AG, AG databases which are recovered from a backup solution will need to be removed from AG, restored and then re-added to the AG.
This could be an issue, but not sure yet if this negates the possibility to perform log shipping towards an AG using the SQL agent.

Will get back to you a.s.a.p.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Jos Meijer ,

Is it common to use live sync with 4 servers (One CommServe sync with the 3 other servers) ? That way I’ll have two servers in each site.

Best Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Adel BOUKHATEM 

Not sure how common, but definitely possible to have multiple standby commserve's in a livesync setup 😃

Not sure though how this will function in a setup where automatic failover has been enabled. Will it fail over to a specific host or one at random, never tested it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Gents, following up on this thread.  @Adel BOUKHATEM were you able to get an answer on this one?

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Mike Struening,

I got advised by @Jos Meijer, but still don’t know whether it is possible to use live sync between two CommServes, each of them is installed on a SQL AlwaysOn High Availability Cluster.

I understand that, this is not a common topology, and it can be avoided by using only Live Sync, but I have a constraint making me implement that. Hopefully somebody has tested that !

Thanks & Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I would reach out to your Account Team and see if they can create a CCR in your name.  Might be able to get the feature added (or they can advise on another method).

Share what you hear with us!

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Mike Struening,

I’ll try to open a SR with Commvault and check whether it is possible.

I’ll drop a comment one I get a response.

Thanks all for your help.

Best Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Always!!!  Looking forward to your next reply!

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

I’m curious to hear what kind of feedback you get.

I understand you’re bound to the AG install for other reasons, but I often hear from customers who overcomplicate their setups in an attempt to reach perfect uptime.  The end result is almost always a setup too complex to manage effectively.

I’m a big proponent of KISS.  Design a solution the next admin can understand.  :)

Thanks,
Scott