Solved

Maybe someone knows how to clear the configuration from licenses and apply a permanent one?

• 21 June 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge +4

Hello !

In our configuration, there were many licenses, both permanent and temporary, trying to move from volume licensing to socket licensing. The result is sad, the temporary license will end soon.

Maybe someone knows how to clear the configuration from licenses and apply a permanent one?

icon

Best answer by Jason Duncan 21 June 2022, 16:48

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Alex_Moscow,

Are you getting an error when attempting to apply the new license?  When does the temporary end?

Badge +4

Hello Jason !

The temporary license ends on August 9th. We had many transitions in licensing:
- 2015 - permanent 100 TB;
- 2016 - permanent  160 TB;
- 2017 - permanent  260 TB;
- 2019 - permanent 360 TB;
Then we were recommended by Commvault managers a VM socket model and we bought 272 sockets, we got a mixed license with a volume of 360 TB + 272 VM sockets. Then problems began due to the fact that the virtual machines were not deducted from the volume license. Our managers generated temporary licenses for us. As a result, we are now living on a temporary license of 560 TB + 272 sockets, but we want to return to our permanent license of 360 TB and 272 sockets.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi Alex_Moscow,

Typically the Account teams handle the new cuts of license.  If you can send me a private message with your CommCell ID, I can get the conversation started for you.

Badge +4

@Jason Duncan 

We have started the process of purchasing licenses, but there is no certainty that it will be purchased.

Managers told us that even if the temporary license ends on August 9, we will be able to work on our permanent license. But this is not so, then I decided to check it on a test virtual machine,
how it will happen. I restored Commvault from the DR backup, changed the date on the virtual machine +1 day after the license expired - to August 10th.
The result is disappointing - ALL backups are not started (both manually and on schedule) for all clients (file, SQL, Oracle, VMware).
Error: License is not consumed by Agent - see the screenshot below.

Questions:
1) Why doesn't our permanent license (360 TB + 272 VM Sockets) work, even though you said otherwise?
2) How to fix the situation. For backup to work on our permanent licenses ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Alex_Moscow , to confirm restores will work even though the license is expired; however you need a license to perform a backup (at least on the client side of operations).

Were you able to acquire a new license?

Badge +4

Hello. Managers say they bought a license. But we never received the license file.

Badge +4

Just received a new license.
Applied the obtained license on the Commvault test control server, disconnected from the network:
license for a volume of 560 TB + 272 VM Sockets, as expected. Thanks a lot !

Questions (see attached file for details):
1) there is an expiration date - January 30, 2023. Why and how to fix it?
(previously support said that this is the expiration date for the HyperScale Appliance)
2) the IP address of the license has changed. Is it possible to change the IP address of the management server?
3) no support through the site - there is no way to solve the problem associated with the fact that when backing up virtual machines, a volume license is consumed, for non-VM Sockets.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Alex_Moscow , I’m not seeing the attachment showing up.

Can you clarify on part 2?  The Commserve IP address changed?  If the license applied, you shouldn’t have to worry about the IP anymore (I don’t think we’ve tied to IP in a while).

For part 3, that might be better solved through a support case.  Licensing usage often requires a deep dive into what is installed vs consumed across the commcell.