Question

Media Agent Server Consuming VOI License?

• 4 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Hello!

I have a newly deployed Commvault environment for one of our customers. We have 10 VOI licenses to cover 10 VMs being backed up by this solution.

Recently an extra VOI license has been consumed bringing us over our license threshold. Upon investigation I discovered our Media Agent server is now consuming a VOI. In the license summary report, the media agent server is displayed under the “Current Virtual Operating Instances” table but is not shown under “Virtual Operating Instances - current usage” table, so I am not able to pinpoint why exactly it is consuming the license.

The Media Agent server is not shown as protected under virtualization, file servers, databases, etc., and should not be. I did notice that the “Virtual Server” agent is installed under the CommCell > Servers page.

Currently this is not an issue as we are still within the evaluation period, but I would like to solve it before it becomes one. Any help is appreciated!

Commvault version: 11.28.32

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good afternoon.  Can you please update me with the following:

1.  Is the MediaAgent a VM
  2. Did you install any agents on that MediaAgent?  It could be any agent, File System, MediaAgent software, etc.
Badge +2

Good afternoon.  Can you please update me with the following:

1.  Is the MediaAgent a VM
  2. Did you install any agents on that MediaAgent?  It could be any agent, File System, MediaAgent software, etc.

Hi Orazan,

Thank you for the follow-up! The MediaAgent is installed on a VM, but the VM is not added to any VM groups. I did install using the All-in-one package option, so the installed packages include:

• Cloud Apps
  • Command Center
  • Exchange
  • File System
  • Index Gateway
  • Index Store
  • MediaAgent
  • OFFICE365
  • SharePoint
  • Storage Accelerator
  • Virtual Server