Question

Media in Library (tape)

• 14 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi there,

Having an issue with a client where their tape media is not being seen by Commvault. In the process of renewing support, but it’s rather urgent so wanted any troubleshooting tips in the meantime. 

They’ve reset the library, done various scans, recreated the client with a different name, and tinkered on the library itself (HP autoloader w/ LTO-7) to confirm the tapes are seen by that.

Tapes show up on the autoloader fine, but aren’t being seen by CV, still missing “Media in Library”.
What could be the issue? Any tips are appreciated :)  

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I would recommend trying to mount and access the tape using TapeToolGui as seen here:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/10587_tapetool_windows.html

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @DePaul28 

What is the operating system ? Linux or Windows?

And (maybe) dumb question : was it seen before and now disappeared, or is this a new thing beeing setup ?

Most of the time, you have to make sure that the device is properly visible from the OS, so from windows through the Device Manager, you should have Tape Library device + LTO7 tape drive device.

From Linux through lsscsi you should be able to see if you get the devices properly detected and their scsi path, to help check the configuration in CV too...

Hi @DePaul28 

What is the operating system ? Linux or Windows?

And (maybe) dumb question : was it seen before and now disappeared, or is this a new thing beeing setup ?

Most of the time, you have to make sure that the device is properly visible from the OS, so from windows through the Device Manager, you should have Tape Library device + LTO7 tape drive device.

From Linux through lsscsi you should be able to see if you get the devices properly detected and their scsi path, to help check the configuration in CV too...

Hi there,

Yes, we looked there already too - it's a Windows Server 2019 standard which replaced a 2012 R2. They didn't have a problem until the hardware was upgraded. I'm attaching the device manager screenshot as well. It’s a head scratcher!

I would recommend trying to mount and access the tape using TapeToolGui as seen here:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/10587_tapetool_windows.html

Thanks!
I was able to get it to finally see the tapes; however, only 1/8 of the tapes show as a normal tape. The icon has a question mark and "Discover" does not give me the option to change they type. Going to try running a scan in the meantime, and going through this: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/10103_discover_media_configuration.html

But not sure if anyone had additional tips! Appreciate the help

Images attached 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi !

Did you export the tapes before the operation ?

Do you only wish to use (erase/overwrite) the content of those tapes right away ? Or do you need to keep their content until their backup expire and then later re-write to each ?

Maybe try to catalog one of those tapes, to rebuild its indexes if you wish to have access to its content ?