Solved

Monthly Fulls Last Day of the Month

• 2 March 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Morning,

I am looking to ensure that that for extended retention the backup from the last day of the month is retained as per the extended retention rules. 

In the Incremental/Synthetic Full configuration created as part of the plan configuration is this possible? If so how can i configure to ensure that a synthetic full is ran on the last day of the month and then retained as per the extended retention rules?

Thanks in advance. 

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 2 March 2021, 17:38

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Tom Evans , great question.

We kind of have 2 questions here:

1. How is Extended Retention applied?
  2. How can I schedule a backup on the last day of the month?

The first one (which you might already be aware of, though I answer to give a complete picture) is that Extended Retention is going to apply (in this case) to the last full of a given month (or the mopst recent in the current month).  Whether it runs as part of a plan, or schedule, or was manually kicked off, the operation simply looks at the fulls like an inventory and applies your extended retention to the last one that completed, period.

With that said, I do not see any option to configure a Plan in Command Center to run on the last of the month (but you can do this in the Commcell Console).

I’ll ask around to see if this is something that has to be done in the console or if Command Center is an option.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Mike Struening 

In this instance would it just be a case of using the Commcell console and modifying the automatically created Synthetic Full schedule for the required Storage Policy and setting to “Monthly” “On the last days”?

Will this go against any recommended/best practices from a Commvault perspective?

Thanks

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s it!  It wouldn’t be against best practices at all.  It’s really up top you when the schedule runs.

If your business need is ‘last day of the month’, then set that up and you’ll be golden!

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@Tom Evans … Can I ask why you create monthly full backups in the first place?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@Tom Evans … Can I ask why you create monthly full backups in the first place?

Simple. Tape is still very, very common.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hey @Tom Evans , great question.

We kind of have 2 questions here:

1. How is Extended Retention applied?
  2. How can I schedule a backup on the last day of the month?

The first one (which you might already be aware of, though I answer to give a complete picture) is that Extended Retention is going to apply (in this case) to the last full of a given month (or the mopst recent in the current month).  Whether it runs as part of a plan, or schedule, or was manually kicked off, the operation simply looks at the fulls like an inventory and applies your extended retention to the last one that completed, period.

With that said, I do not see any option to configure a Plan in Command Center to run on the last of the month (but you can do this in the Commcell Console).

I’ll ask around to see if this is something that has to be done in the console or if Command Center is an option.

@Mike Struening Did you end up finding out if this since can be achieved with Command Center Plans?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mike StrueningDid you end up finding out if this since can be achieved with Command Center Plans?

@Anthony.Hodges , unfortunately I didn’t find anything.

@MFasulo , do you know if there is anything in the works (or an alternate solution)?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@Tom Evans This is primary to tape?