Question

nFilterApplicationFiles additional setting for Oracle

• 15 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

I have installed the commvault client on the server, and configured the oracle DB (well, ‘SAP for Oracle… which is supported for this setting). I set the nFilterApplicationFiles to 1, then backed up the database, then the filesystem. It appears that Oracle DB files are being backed up by the filesystem.  The docs are a little unclear...Excluding Database Application Files from a UNIX File System Backup (commvault.com)

indicates for Oracle: “

The following files are excluded when you set the additional setting on an Oracle client:

• The Oracle datafiles that the software displays in the CommCell Console Oracle browse pane.”

There is only 1 database in this Oracle instance, it's a large part of the total server footprint, and I’m seeing Data related DB files in the filesystem backup when I browse the filesystem backup ( I took after discovering and backing up the Oracle database instance) so I’m not sure how I’m going to ‘know” its being excluded.

Question:

Are the “The Oracle datafiles that the software displays in the CommCell Console Oracle browse pane.” the ‘oracle instance’ name you see once you configure an instance under Oracle, or is this the database(s) as seen inside the “default” subclient under the oracle instance, or something else?

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @tigger2 

The following screenshot shows the datafiles marked in yellow 

Even in the backup & Restore window the datafile’s are visible 

After adding nFilterApplicationFiles with value 1, did you try running a full File system backup. Please also note that the data files are filtered only for the database instance that are configured on the commvault level.

Regards,

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

I added the  nFilterApplicationFiles (and set the value to 1) to the client before performing Filesystem or Oracle backups.  Then I configured and backed up Oracle, then the Filesystem  after that (both Fulls).  Using your screenshots as an example, I am unable to expand any of the discovered databases though to see the datafile(s).  All the SYSAUX, SYSTEM, etc db’s are grey and do not expand in my UI when clicking on the [+] or anything else. have I missed something in the Oracle backup configuration maybe?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @tigger2 

Your configuration is good.

When you select online subset you will be able to expand and view the datafiles, however “online subset” is used only when performing a partial backup. 

Please continue to use “Online database” which will ensure the entire database is protected. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

I’m confused: Shouldn’t making these settings and Oracle discovery keep the Filesystem backups from backing up all oracle datafiles/logfiles/mirror files/archive files (like, all things ending in .dbf as example?). I have this set and its backing up .dbf files from the filesystem.  not being able to expand the selections in the UI means i cannot see what it thinks it should be excluding.. but knowing its backing up .dbf files should mean its choosing to not exclude those… but it would seem (because they are large and oracle for SAP database files) it … should?