Solved

o365 exchangeonline mailbox exclusion AD group

• 21 February 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

is there option/way to add mailbox exclusion on exchange online in command center? 

currently config was set to all mailboxes (catch all) but would like to add exclusion ad group.

thank you.

icon

Best answer by Chris Hollis 22 February 2022, 03:41

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Benv,

Good afternoon.   I believe this may be what you are looking for:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/125940_excluding_mailbox_from_backups_of_exchange_online_app.html

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

thanks Orazan for reference. yes, this is one option i was hoping exclusion using AD group rather than individual mailboxes as option.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@benv 

How are you wanting to discover / manage mailboxes? You can either use the ‘All users’ feature which we recommend by default.. or you can define and manage mailboxes at the ‘AD Group’ level.

Only if you’ve configured / discovered users at the AD Group level could you disable (exclude from backup) all mailboxes tied to that AD group, otherwise you’ll need to manually identify the individuals you want to exclude and update them manually. 

Unfortunately we don’t support both methods of discovery, it’s either ‘all users’ or another auto discovery method.

If you wish to switch from All users to AD, you have to disable (remove the policy) from ‘All Users’, create the AD Groups > Assign policies > Run new archive jobs at the AD Group Level etc.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Regards, 
Chris

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@Chris Hollis,

thanks for the reply. if i remove all mailboxes under content, would this loss backup data?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@benv

No, removing the mailboxes under content (either from JAVA GUI or Command Center) will not delete the data. It will honor the retention you have defined. 

Only if you ‘DELETE’ data will it clear the data from browse/make it non recoverable prior to defined retention being met: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.22/essential/116694_deleting_messages_in_exchange_mailbox.html

Regards,
Chris 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

thanks @Chris Hollis and @Orazan for your assistance.