Solved

OneDrive - Unable to create in CloudApp user subclient - cannot discover groups under Auto Discovery

Backup of OD for Business. I’m trying to create additional subclients under CloudApps instance. 

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=30238.htm

I’ve enabled it at the instance level to use group affinity. 

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=30234.htm

Issue: 

After clicking Configure -->Discover in the Auto-Discovery tab the Discover Progress screen comes up but goes away after about 3 seconds. 

Any assistance would be appreciated. 

Vin

icon

Best answer by VinR 2 June 2021, 00:09

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @VinR , thanks for the post!

To confirm, are you getting to step 4 and nothing happens?

Discovering User Accounts Automatically Using Group Affinity

Applies to: User-defined subclients

If you created user-defined subclients, you can configure them to discover new user accounts automatically using group affinity when the next backup job is run.

Before You Begin

Configure auto discovery of user accounts at the instance level.

Procedure

1. In the CommCell Browser, click Client Computers > client > Cloud Apps > instance.
  2. Right-click a user-defined subclient, and then click Properties.
  3. In the Subclient Properties dialog box, on the Auto-discovery tab, click Configure.
  4. In the Configure User Accounts dialog box, click Discover.
  5. Add the Azure group to the subclient.
    • If you want to assign one group, select the group, and then select the subclient name from the Subclient list.
    • If you want to assign multiple groups, select the groups, and then select the subclient name from the Change all selected accounts to list.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Run a backup job on the subclient to auto discover user accounts based on the group affinity that you configured.

Before we look further, have you set auto discover as per the directions?

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=30225.htm

Configuring User Account Auto Discovery at the Instance Level

If you want to enable user account auto discovery at the subclient level, then you must enable it at the instance level first.

Procedure

1. In the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > Cloud Apps.
  2. Right-click the instance, and then click Properties.
  3. In the Instance Properties dialog box, click the Auto Discover tab, and then select the Enable Auto Discover check box.
  4. Select either one of the following methods to auto discover the user accounts.
    • To discover the user accounts that match the filters and wildcard expressions that you provide while automatically discovering user accounts, select Match user name by regular expressions.
    • To discover the user accounts that are part of a sub-organization created on Microsoft OneDrive for Business, select Azure Group Affinity.
  5. Optional: If you have enabled auto discovery based on regular expressions, perform the following tasks to create new subclients based on regular expressions:
    1. Select the No. of subclients to be created check box.
    2. Select 10 or 20 to create either 10 subclients or 20 subclients respectively.

Note: This feature is only for one-time use. After you have used this feature, it will disappear.

6. Click OK.

Thanks!

Hi Mike, 

Yes I do get to step 4...

After clicking Configure -->Discover in the Auto-Discovery tab the Discover Progress screen comes up but goes away after about 3 seconds.

Also it seems like adding the group is a requirement to create a subclient. It comes up with a message: “Please Configure Auto-discovery", without discovering and adding a group. That is my issue, so I cannot create a new subclient. 

Yes on configuring it at the instance level first. 

Thanks,

Vin

So, Initially I had just a single app registered in Azure for Cloud App. As per documentation I added 4 more registrations to avoid throttling and than added 4 additional  App ID and Key Values under Connection Details for that instance. I may have made a typo or something. 

Today, I copied both in the format required to notepad….double checked that all 5 App ID and Key Values lined up with “;” in between. Reapplied them to the Connection Details tab and the Discovery Process worked. Test in progress...fingers crossed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s very interesting @VinR !  Keep me posted….hoping for a typo as the cause!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @VinR !  Following up to see if the issue was a typo (and all is well).

Thanks!

I guess it was.

After redoing the App ID and the Key Values the group discovery worked and the job ran. 

Thanks Vin

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It happens!

I’ll mark this as answered, though if it happens again, reply back and I’ll unmark it as solved.

thanks!