Solved

Oracle Full backup keep failing and resume non-stop

• 20 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Hi all, 

Currently user is running v11 SP25, Oracle backup was running fine until user upgraded Oracle firmware and hence the Full backup hit the abnormal behavior, failed and resumed and backup size will grow up to 33tb (actual DB size is 5tb)

I am not sure what is causing this issue, from logs I only manage to identified that connection was 

15873 460e 02/19 13:15:23 1336308 CCvNetworkServer::ReadThread() - Could not peek for data format. Error:'0xFFFFFFFF:{CCvNetwork::PeekDataFormat(6495)} + 

Just wondering if it was network issue it should not be able to run backup at all. I have attached some logs, appreciate if anyone could share some idea which part to check on. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Abdullah 21 February 2022, 05:05

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

2 replies

Badge +3

Hi Lee,

The log excerpt that you mentioned here is an indication of broke pipeline condition. And usually a broken pipeline condition for a job occurs when:

• There is an interruption either due to network intermittency or any read or write error.
  • Unexpected process crash or unexpected reasons.

As you mentioned, the Oracle was upgraded, you can try relinking the Oracle SBT library files post upgrade : https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/20121_relinking_oracle_sbt_library.html

If this doesn’t help, re-installing the agent on that client would be the next thing to do. It could be due to some of the commvault binaries were not compiled in a compatible manner for the new Oracle upgrade. It may need a recompilation/relinking of the binaries.

Please also look for other reasons for the broken pipeline i.e. if there is any disconnection reported and/or if there is any media write error and above all if there is any RMAN error specific to oracle.

Thanks

Abdullah

Badge +2

Hi Lee,

The log excerpt that you mentioned here is an indication of broke pipeline condition. And usually a broken pipeline condition for a job occurs when:

• There is an interruption either due to network intermittency or any read or write error.
  • Unexpected process crash or unexpected reasons.

As you mentioned, the Oracle was upgraded, you can try relinking the Oracle SBT library files post upgrade : https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/20121_relinking_oracle_sbt_library.html

If this doesn’t help, re-installing the agent on that client would be the next thing to do. It could be due to some of the commvault binaries were not compiled in a compatible manner for the new Oracle upgrade. It may need a recompilation/relinking of the binaries.

Please also look for other reasons for the broken pipeline i.e. if there is any disconnection reported and/or if there is any media write error and above all if there is any RMAN error specific to oracle.

Thanks

Abdullah

Hi Abdullah,

Thanks for your feedback, I will keep this solution in case the backup keep failing in the future. So far the backup back to normal without doing anything. It seems to be the issue on Oracle server, more likely to be the network or oracle processes. 

Thanks and best regards,

Lee