Solved

Preventing job failures for Virtual Server host subclients which select no virtual machines?

• 1 June 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Hi all,

We have a number of subclients which target our virtual server environment. These subclients select virtual machines to backup via tags.

We have a couple of subclients which are currently not being used, but the option is available for them to be used. As a result, jobs against these subclients fail with a “[91:478] No virtual machines were discovered for this Subclient. Check the subclient content and configured filters.” error. This muddies our reporting even though it is intended and understood.

Is anyone aware of a way to prevent these jobs from explicitly failing? Ideally, they would complete with simply zero VMs backed up. We’d like to leave backup activity enabled for these subclients and schedules targeting them in case VMs have the tags added to ensure that assigning the tag is the only action required to initiate backups.

Many thanks for your time any any suggestions.

icon

Best answer by Ledoesp 1 June 2023, 20:43

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I am afraid there is a solution for your request: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/32131_default_subclient_coverage_for_unprotected_vmware_virtual_machines.html

• To enable backup jobs for non-default subclients to complete successfully when no virtual machines are discovered for non-default subclients, configure the AllowEmptySubclient additional setting on the Virtual Server Agent proxy and set the value to true.

Please give it a try.

Badge +2

I am afraid there is a solution for your request: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/32131_default_subclient_coverage_for_unprotected_vmware_virtual_machines.html

• To enable backup jobs for non-default subclients to complete successfully when no virtual machines are discovered for non-default subclients, configure the AllowEmptySubclient additional setting on the Virtual Server Agent proxy and set the value to true.

Please give it a try.

Do not be afraid: this is precisely what I was hoping for. Thank you, Ledoesp!