Solved

Question regarding plans

• 16 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi all,

Question regarding plans in 11.21 again.

In case we have the following settings:

What will happen with the full backup, if this setting is disabled:

For me it’s confusing as according to the “full backup” switch, there is no full backup.

also, why can we only modify the synthetic full options using the java console

icon

Best answer by euMike 16 February 2021, 20:43

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Bart 

Please read the documentation! But to summarize it will create a synthetic full every 7 days which applies to FS clients. For DB clients it uses daily differentials/incrementals and weekly fulls. Now FR23 will have the ability to add a FULL DB only for DB backups.

I would strongly advise you not to change the resource related to the plans via the CommCell console. If you want to enhance it or customize it than please post it on the forum what you reasoning is so Commvault can evaluate it and as a workaround you could than add a temporary schedule and connect that one to the particular clients. 

The idea behind plans is that you shouldn't have to bother about the strategy anymore and Commvault will do it for you. 

Snippet from the documentation:

Automatic Backup Level

The jobs from the incremental schedule are automatically converted to a full backup job based on the following backup conversion rules:

• For SQL agents:

• If the last full backup job is older than 30 days and the operation window allows a full backup job, the job is converted to a full backup job.

• If the last full backup job is within 30 days and the last differential backup job is older than 7 days, job is converted to a differential backup job.

• For other agents: If the last full backup job is older than 7 days and the operation window allows a full backup job, the job is converted to a full backup job.

See: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.21/essential/96314_configurations_for_rpo.html

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

What will happen with the full backup, if this setting is disabled...

There is still synthetic schedule that kicks in every 14 days (default value). For some agents it will convert backup to “normal” full.

There are some rules in place in 11.22 (not sure for 11.21):

I also miss more options to configure schedules and backup types without touching Java console:

• full backup only
  • enable/disable synthetic full
  • synthetic full frequency
  • number of cycles
  • enable/disable log schedule
  • copy only backup...
Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Yeah I know it is hard to let go not to worry about it anymore ;-) All the things you miss relate to traditional way of scheduling and storage policies. So yes it is right that you miss them, but can you explain why you miss them? 

• The full backup can be configured in a plan but is on a global level. Soon it will be possible to do this for DB alone a well. 
  • Plans use synthetic full as much as possible to offload the resource usage from client to MA to reduce impact on client
  • Synthetic full frequency, why would you want to influence this? RTO?
  • Number of cycles. This was/is a nice feature but a newbie that just start using Commvault as no idea what it does and how it works. Currently a plan still uses one cycle. I myself would really like to have this removed and to come back as an option in a plan to introduce an selectable option called "Always retain last X recovery point(s)".

The other 2 you are referring to are specifics and will have to be configured through the CommCell console if I'm correct. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Onno,you remark regarding read the documentation ,with the exclamation mark,is unacceptable. Knowing that we have tickets open for things which are implemented which aren't documented and where CommVault even doesn't know how it suppose to work. (Can you imagine!!). Check for example how region based storage is suppose to work, CommVault doesn't know and they even need to escalate it to dev.

Secondly your remark is incorrect as the synthetic full is every 30 days

And third point,I'm not asking how plans should work (that's your snippet from the documentation). I asked why there is a full backup window in the plan configuration if you don't have the full backup checkbox enabled.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Bart I'm sorry for hitting the wrong button on my keyboard which made you upset. I'm just like you a customer and it seems we are often in the same situation so believe me I understand your frustration.

Now reading back your comment, I indeed am clueless why there is a full back window that you can set even though you have not configured the creation of a full backup. I indeed agree that it should become visible only when the enable the "Add full backup”. @MFasulo can you look at it?

And additionally you are right about the synthetic full but that one is created depending on the retention that you specify. 

As for your region based storage remark; I'm interested to hear more from it. We are also using it and had some issues with it as well in the beginning and we still have a couple of CMR outstanding for it. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@Bart I'm sorry for hitting the wrong button on my keyboard which made you upset. I'm just like you a customer and it seems we are often in the same situation so believe me I understand your frustration.

Now reading back your comment, I indeed am clueless why there is a full back window that you can set even though you have not configured the creation of a full backup. I indeed agree that it should become visible only when the enable the "Add full backup”. @MFasulo can you look at it?

And additionally you are right about the synthetic full but that one is created depending on the retention that you specify. 

As for your region based storage remark; I'm interested to hear more from it. We are also using it and had some issues with it as well in the beginning and we still have a couple of CMR outstanding for it. 

“And additionally you are right about the synthetic full but that one is created depending on the retention that you specify.” - When you set monthly Selective copies, the value is set to 30 days instead of the number of days in the calendar month.