I am in the process of configuring NetApp NAS backups using CIFS with SnapDiff, and I cannot find a clear documentation on how to configure that. What is unclear for me, is:
SnapDiff is just used for the Scan phase, right? So once we are in the Backup phase, we are just doing a CIFS--based backup?
- In which steps should we configure this? Create the NAS client first? Or configure the Array first? And at which point (and where in Command Center) should we detect/configure the SVM's?
- What permissions within NetApp does the user account need which is used for the SnapDiff feature?
- After Configuring the Array and the CIFS subclient, will Commvault automatically use SnapDiff? Or should we enable that somewhere?
- How does Commvault map the share to the NetApp Array and volume that needs to be used for SnapDiff? For instance:
- The NetApp Array is configurated in Commvault as: netapp01-mgmt.company.lan
- Clients connect to \\netapp01-svm1-cifs.company.lan\share01
- We run the backup as: \\netapp01-svm1-backup.company.lan\share01
- How can we see if SnapDiff or traditional recursive Scan was used for a CIFS backup?
Sorry if these are stupid questions, but documentation seems to be scattered all over the place. No coherent explanation/overview. Or if there is, please point me towards it. :-)
Best answer by Mike Struening RETIREDView original