Solved

Remote cache

• 4 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Hi all,

I have a remote cache very far from my Commserve, then when I try to sync the Commserve cache it failed because it goes in time out. If I populate the remote cache in another way, is there then the way to force the sync status in the remote cache status ?

Domenico

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 4 February 2022, 12:25

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @YNAP 

If you are able to transfer the files to the remote cache manually, you can then copy files into the remote cache location manually.

Manually copying files into the remote cache is only half the operation - the Commserve database needs to be updated to reflect that the remote cache has been successfully updated.

You will then need to run a Sync operation where the remote cache location will be scanned and status reported back to the Commserve. Assuming this scan operation completes successfully and returns a status message back to the Commserve, this should achieve what you need.

Assuming the contents of the remote cache will be successfully scanned with minimal or no data actually transferred, hopefully the scan operation will return successfully within the timeout period and mark the remote cache as valid.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +3

Thanks Stuart,

I’ll try in this way, but if also this doesn’t work ? Any B plan ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @YNAP 

The purpose of remote cache is place installation and update files near a set of clients.

This cache needs to be maintained and kept up to date, with that status also maintained in the Commserve.

So, two things need to happen:

1. Installation/update files need to be copied to the remote cache, which can be automated with Download Software - Sync operation or manually.
  2. The status of remote cache needs to be reported to and maintained in Commserve database.

You may not have sufficient bandwidth between the Commserve and the remote cache for the copy operation, but you will need to ensure sufficient bandwidth to enable the status to be reported and maintained with a Sync operation.

If this simply isn’t possible due to environmental constraints, then the only remaining option I can think of is to perform client installations/updates manually. But, even then, some connectivity from the clients back to the Commcell needs to be provided for job management and activity.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge

You can instruct a client or a client group to download software updates from the internet (that is, from Akamai), instead of from the remote cache

Please refer to documentation on setting up feature to download software updates from akamai from the following documentation 

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/2727_managing_remote_cache.html

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/58675_version.html

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/4937_client_computer_groups_online_help.html