Solved

Restore Differential SQL Backup

• 24 August 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

Just wanted to get clarity on this matter for our DBA. We have SQL Databases that run full backups every couple of days, with Differentials running the additional days.

If i choose to restore the DB out of place, and i choose the date for the differential, do i still need to restore the full from the day before as well? or does this restore both at the same time with the differential and the last full?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Ron Potts 24 August 2021, 18:34

View original

2 replies

Badge +15

I could be wrong here so lets wait for the experts to share the correct answer, but my understanding is that you only need to select the DIFF that you want and the software will determine whether a most recent FULL needs to be pulled or not. In your case, since it is a out of place, it would restore the FULL and up until the DIFF you selected. That is the chain action mentioned below.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=18233.htm

• For basic database restores, the restore chain consists of the most recent full backup, the latest differential backup (if any), and all the subsequent log backups (if any) taken prior to the selected restore time.
  • While restoring databases to a transaction mark or during a point-in-time restore, the restore chain consists of the most recent full backup, the latest differential backup (if any), all the subsequent log backups taken prior to the selected browse time, and the next log backup after the browse time. The transparent inclusion enables restores to a selected point in time.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hello!

When you restore from a particular date or point in time, the Commvault software is intelligent in that it will look up the entire cycle or chain of backups that would be also required to restore the backup you are looking for. The restore will then (by default) restore the Full backup and any logs/differential backups required in that chain to ensure are restored up to the date/time specified. 

So there would be no need to restore the Full or other backups manually first manually. 

Thank you,