Solved

SCOM Monitoring

• 20 May 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi,

According to the docs, https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=5430.htm , the following needs to be done in order to send alerts to SCOM:

==

1. From the CommCell Console ribbon, click the Home tab, and then click Control Panel.
  2. Click SCOM.
  3. In the SCOM Configuration dialog box, type the fully qualified host name of the SCOM Server.
  4. Type the credentials required to connect to the SCOM Server and click Apply.

Note: The credentials must be for a user who has administrator rights to the SCOM Server

==

The problem is: Our scom administrator don’t want to give admin permissions to an external tool which they don’t manage. (neither do I).

Is there a way to implement the scom monitoring without that part? (the management pack can be loaded on the scom of course)

icon

Best answer by Bart 9 June 2021, 14:04

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Bart 

Thank you for the question.

When I review case history, there are many cases that quote the same requirements, but that might be just re-quoting the documented requirements.

I will follow up internally and see if we can assign more specific user permissions to enable SCOM alerts.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Most scom integrations just require the scom administrators to load the management pack on the scom management server. I don’t see any reason why an external tool (commvault) should load the management pack.

Badge

@Bart The management pack is imported when the SCOM server is added to the CS. The agent needs to be installed on the CS as well . Could you please provide more details on which type of user is being used to configure SCOM ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@Bart The management pack is imported when the SCOM server is added to the CS. The agent needs to be installed on the CS as well . Could you please provide more details on which type of user is being used to configure SCOM ?

@Srikanth it’s not a question of which user we used for the scom, that is not our question.
commvault requires a SCOM ADMINISTRATOR account in order to install the management pack on the SCOM server. That’s just a BAD PRACTICE and a major security issue.

We don’t want to give administrator access to an external product, because that is just NOT needed. Every other application which has scom monitoring, delivers the management pack so that a scom administrator can upload the management pack manually.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@Srikanth any update?

Badge

HI ,

Currently we do need the administrator account in order to configure the management pack. I will check with the corresponding team internally on this and update you by 24/6/21.

Thanks,

Srikanth 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@Srikanth We managed to do it ourselves. [since 5 minutes ago]
We managed to retrieve the management pack, and loaded that into scom (after modifying the paths), and alerts are being sent to scom now. 

Badge

@Srikanth We managed to do it ourselves. [since 5 minutes ago]
We managed to retrieve the management pack, and loaded that into scom (after modifying the paths), and alerts are being sent to scom now. 

@Bart  Would it be possible to share the management pack ready for modification before import?